Menu
Menu
Beijing Time(GMT+8)
New York Time(GMT-5)
Greenwich Mean Time(GMT)
Beijing Time(GMT+8)
Profile Travel Reviews Travel Forum Travel Tips Photo album  
Lijiang Travel Tips
Your first-hand tips on an area you have been to in China will help other fellow travelers on their trip planning and on-the-spot stay. Please choose one of the specific categories.
Tips 9-16 of 16 Page 2 of 2 < Previous Next > Page:
Write Your Travel Tip
Naxi Ancient Music Hall...save your money
By BILL888 | 9/15/2005 7:35:57 PM

I agree with one of the other travellers that this "concert" is a major rip off. First, it is not bilingual; the old man in charge spoke only several phrases in english and one of these was to apologize that he would not speak english since he did not want to upset the chinese-speaking people in the audience. Second, most of the performers were literally falling asleep on stage, that is when they were not yawning. Third, it is not actually Naxi music they perform but chinese music. So save your money and just take a peek inside the hall during the day if you want to see what it looks like. Plus, don't let them gauge you---the tickets should cost 30 yuan, not 140 yuan.

Accom tip for Lijiang
By ALEXCRDAVEY | 6/29/2005 8:08:42 PM

Quite by accident we found the Old Carnation Hotel. It was new in April 2004 and run by a very friendly family. The beds are comfy with soft duvets, the rooms are set around a courtyard (some with bathrooms and some without) and the prices are less than the Lonely Planet favourites.
It is at 134, Wen Zhi Alley, Wuyi Street about 5 mins east from the Market Square. Apparently there are quite a few new places around this area offering good rates.
The email address of the owner is
ewan_215@yahoo.com.cn

Black Dragon Pool = trap
By KETCHUP | 5/20/2005 10:41:27 AM

Hey guys,
Watch out the religious hooligans when you visit the Black Dragon Pool Park in Lijiang. It will be nighmare if you do. Specifically there was a so-called Dongba Culture Institution, you are right, the lexicon should think about giving a amendment to this word if they insist calling themselves an "institution".

Usually, they will accost you and entice you into the institution and then the money in your pockets are theirs.

I would rather suggest detour or skip the whole park altogether.

Good view
By YCATSOLONG | 2/15/2005 6:16:34 PM

I hiked up the hill right behind the old town district. On my way up I noticed that there was a path that led the whole way up. I think it left from the Black dragon pool. I liked the hike that I did more and it gave me a lot more freedom to roam around the whole hill area. There are some great views of the old town and surrounding mountainous landscape. Probably better to do when it is not raining as it can be a little slippery and the low cloud cover can really presenta problem if you want clear vision to take photos. Take care when walking back down as it's very slippery and also it is a good idea to take a warm jumper and umbrella just in case it rains or hails.
Have fun!

budget
By LANGLANG | 2/15/2005 5:24:36 PM

i've heard so many people talk about how hard it is to get cheap accommodation during the spring festival. or that you can get a really cheap room at about 200Yuan. For my boyfriend and me, that's not cheap at all, that's EXPENSIVE. we've never paid that ever, not even in hongkong. We mangaged to get a cheap room in lijiang for 50yuan after bargaining it down from 100yuan. it had a private bathroom with hot hot water, a tv and overlooked the courtyard. It was CLEAN, i would know after cleaning in numurous 5 star hotels the last few years, and only about 100 meters from the bus station and the old town. if you're hungry, there are plenty of cheap resturants nearby where you can get food for about 3yuan. it is called Ri Yue He Hotel and you can see it from the bus station. very good accommodation and very cheap. I would definitely recommend it.

Another Naxi ancient music-Dongba ancient music
By AUSTIN | 1/5/2005 12:27:35 PM

Still enjoy the Naxi ancient music, why not the Dongba ancient music?
It is a really genuine local and traditional art thought not being puffed as the Xuanke. These two are just opposite on the same street, also great rivals. Without many unwanted procedures as the speech of personal opinion, and advocacy, etc., you just can enjoy even love the senior Dongba performer, singing unbendingly while playing the whelk clarion or ox horn. Without any nacked commercial preachment, it should be the best one to really enjoy and taste the true Naxi ancient music and culture.
And also it is much cheaper than the Xuanke.

Why should choose the Xuanke Naxi Ancient Music only?!
By AUSTIN | 1/5/2005 12:28:43 PM

You must know the famous Nanxi ancient music. And if you know it, or if you want to enjoy it, somebody would strongly recommend the Xuanke ancient music. Maybe because it is trumpeted so great, if speaking of the Naxi ancient music, the Xuanke is recommended. But do you know that almost one hour and a half is for that vigorous aged man to have a long and tedious & meaningless speech, and only about 30 minutes for the music performance.
Why spend so much time and money on it?
I am really indignant about their performance time distribution!!

Lijiang Travel
By WAEE | 3/30/2004 2:06:11 PM

Lijiang has many attractions deserving your vist!

I prefer the Naxi classical music.Some Western experts believe that they are " typical Chinese classical music " and " symphonies of Chinese style " . And it got the reputation as the " living fossils of music ".

In the picture, the elder man is playing the traditional percussion.
Many gongs are fixed in the wood frame. and each one has its tune and pitch.

Tips 9-16 of 16 Page 2 of 2 < Previous Next > Page:
Write Your Travel Tip