Menu
On 9.18 - Happy Mid-autumn Day!
Sep 17, 2005 18:43
  • RITA
Happy Mid-autumn Day!

I don't know if mentioning 9.18 would cast comething not so happy to people here, but it IS also today. Sometimes, calendars collude.

Enjoy the moon!

Sep 18, 2005 02:15
  • RITA
I love google for this! :)

Sep 18, 2005 07:10
  • JABAROOTOO
Thanks Rita Hope you enjoy it too.

18/9 has recieved a lot of media cover and it is good for us foreigners to learn a little more about China's history and Culture too
Sep 18, 2005 07:47
  • RITA
I wanted to say this long time ago, you are not 'foreigners', desprite everything different here - food, languages, culture shocks the feelings of away from your families and friends, and of course something really not so good in this country, you choose to stay and work, whatever your personal reasons or purpose to stay, you do it. God knows how many people like you we really need. You, everyone must have lots and lots of stories or difficulties to adapt to when you first got here, and you stay.

Thanks to you all, at least on this special day, I won't call you "Foreigners", raise your heads and look at the moon, same round and bright! Enjoy it, enjoy the unification with all of us, you, individually and as a whole, your profile pics tell me who I am saying these to. :)

When we feel grateful, we should say it, thank you!
Sep 18, 2005 11:32
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Rita,
Thanks for your warm and welcome gratitude.

I know a lot of people in China feel this way too. I know we do not always understand and appreciate your culture and visa versa but one of the reasons so many of us are here is becuase we want to learn about it and to share ours with the people of China.

We are different dispite our similarities and we will always be foreigners and that is OK.

The facts are there, but is nice sometimes to be referred to as Americans, Australians or French rather than all bunched together under the general term of Lao Wei or Weiguoren which is often hurled at us behind our backs.

Funnily enough it is also one of the first if not sometimes the only Chinese word many of us learn because we hear it spoken so often.

I learned it early as my first school was the foreign language school. 'wei guo yu xue xiao'

Yes it is hard to adjust to all the things you mentioned, we come here having made that choice that we will at least try. Our lifestyle is still much easier than the average Chinese person and sometimes even better in some aspects than in our own countries, and dispite all the other sacrifices, it has been worth it for me at least and I am sure many others would feel the same or we wouldn't stay.

Where else can you get a two hour massage for just $5.00 to name just one of the benifits. maybe we can start a list of them.

Sep 18, 2005 15:07
  • ANDRZEJ
Warmest Greetings from far Poland ...enjoy your mid-autumn day peacefull with your family & friends.
Andrzej
Sep 18, 2005 19:33
  • RITA
"It's better than 'laowei' " - Wocca

Yes, that's what I meant. - "Laowai"
Sep 18, 2005 19:39
  • CALIFORNIA
For our community,we are still in the Mid-Autumn Day!!!
Sep 19, 2005 20:42
  • HEROPRINCE
Dear Rita:
You mentioned the day 9.18, it shows that you love our matherland.
maybe some foreign freids do not know what that day mean to China.

Sep 19, 2005 21:11
  • RITA
"Dear Rita:
You mentioned the day 9.18, it shows that you love our matherland." - HEROPRINCE

Yes, of course I love our motherland, no matter what she does or is.

Our foreign friends don't have to know every detail of out history. Anyway, they've already shown their appreciation one way or another by staying and working:)
Post a Reply to: On 9.18 - Happy Mid-autumn Day!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code