Menu
lijiang - leshan
Oct 5, 2005 21:04
  • LAURIE26
Hi all

Im looking to go travelling from Lijiang to leshang as part of a whole wester china shidig around november this year.

3 questions
a)anyone care to join me?
ill be going from hong kong, guilin, yangshuo, kunming, lijian, leshan, chengdu, xi'an, dunhuang, urumqi, turpan, kashgar, then a long damn 3 day train to shanghai.

b) im having a bit of trouble finding the train prices for hard sleeper for this itinery; if anyone could help me out, it would be hot.

c) is there any train or bus that goes from lijiang to Leshan?

Cheers,
Laurie
Oct 5, 2005 23:57
  • ETHNICEAST
it is amazing to chinese when they read about foreigners going overseas, like china, thailand, burma whatever and mentioning on the forums and chat places like this that they are LOOKING for partners to travel together?
dont you plan? or is the trip an ocassion to just about meet anyone to travel together, sightseeing amongst(other things)? locals would think it is dangerous, wont it? or is it just for foreigners. it is not mentioned whether looking for same sex or what type or is it just looking for tour companies to offer sometime, what? has any chinese pick up this lifestyle already? where is all these coming from? just thinking out loud. nothing personal.

Oct 6, 2005 00:30
  • LAURIE26
Thats a fair enough question.
In answer to that, i probobly should tell you a bit of my backround - i am currently an australian student, studying chinese history, culture and politics - i have already spent quite a few months months in china, and speak mandarin well.
I know that it may sound like i have not planned, but i have found that the best trips that i have been on have been ones where it is 'winging it', as we say.
When i put up a post saying that i am looking for a travelling partner, it is not to dicscount that i have no travelling partners; i have contacts and interviews, as well as plenty of friends scattered across where i am travelling. (i will be utilising this trip to research my honours thesis), but i am more looking for fellow travellers who may be interested in going sightseeing.
I was under the impression that this forum was a meeting place for travellers of the same interests recomending places of interest to stay, see and tips for travelling.
I was unaware that travel plans would be critically ripped apart by anonymous critics.
Nothing Personal

Laurie

Oct 6, 2005 02:59
  • JABAROOTOO
Gidday Laurie,
Please don't feel obligated to explain your reasons for looking for fellow travellers. This is just the place to post such a question. Not sure how successful it will be but that's not the point.
Why anyone would think you were looking for anything more than a travel companion is beyond me, although there are some who have posted more specific demands about gender, age and looks so you have to wonder about these.
There are a few adventurous nationals beginning to appreciate the advantages of this type of independant travel and taking the opportunity to travel with complete strangers, sharing both the experience and the expenses. One of my freinds here travel fequently to tibet this way an meeting and aming new friends
I've done it on numerous occasions and we(three of us) even did this in China last summer with a small group from France for a day or so. And just as recently with a Chinese couple this week in Sichuan, sharing a minivan for the day.
If you are looking for train information, you'll find it here. Look to the top right of the page and you'll find three icons, a plane, a train and search. Click on trains and you'll find the schedule with the prices in US$
From Lijiang, your best option is to travel to Panzhihua by bus, about 12 hours day travel so you see heaps(although you'll need to check the road is open) They do tend to clear landslips pretty quickly at least to facilitate one way traffic. From Panzhihua you can take the train to Emei shan which is very closr to Leshan. I did the reverse last summer and it's a great trip on the bus.

If you need more info just ask. I hope you find some like minded travellers to at least share part of your experience if not all.
Oct 6, 2005 05:54
  • ETHNICEAST
in this case, go for it. i am sure you know what you are doing. we are no gatekeeper or gateopener, hope you find more your kind of folks. just responding out of curiosity and concern. have a gday mate.
Oct 8, 2005 20:26
  • LAURIE26
Thabks guys! - didn't mean to come off all defensive before!
Oct 8, 2005 21:43
  • CONNY129
guilin--kunming $32 hard sleeper ;chengdu--xian $15 to $24 ;
when will you start your journey?
Oct 10, 2005 21:30
  • LAURIE26
Thanks connie!

Im studying in the Fudan university for a few weeks, then im going to Hong Kong where i'll start.

I'm going from 27t November - maybe 15th Jan - im not sure.
Oct 10, 2005 23:05
  • CONNY129
that would be winter in most places ,be sure to bring enough heavy clothes
Oct 11, 2005 01:30
  • LAURIE26
Yeah, its going to be interesting.
But i dont think that it could match my last trip (except for Urumqi). While interning at the Dalian Maritime University, it was deceptively cold. Blue skies outside, -10 as soon as you walked out.
But that was no match for Haerbin - i was lucky enough to go to the snow and ice festival - aside from the 10 hour hard seat train trip, and the drunk chinese fortune teller who slurred something about my future which i am still to understand, it was great.
But it was bout -30. Damn cold!
Post a Reply to: lijiang - leshan
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code