Menu
David M. Deems - A Great Teacher
Oct 8, 2005 20:50
  • RITA
David M. Deems

David is one of the greatest and the most selfless man I have even seen in person in my life.

David is an American, came to China in about 1995(I am not very sure of that). In the beginning, he taught at a ordinary primary school in the suburb of a city. He was so popular there that later he became the headmaster of the school. By the end of 1998, he had been to Lanzhou, Gansu Province to see what it was like and what he could do there in Northwest China...

In Northwest Minorities University, David was offered a salary of 1200 yuan per month. He asked people around if 1200 yuan was higher than the local average income, after getting positive answers, he went to the management of the university to ask for only 900 yuan per month, but the leaders of the university insisted to pay him 1200 yuan, David made a compromise to accept not more than 1000 yuan. At last, the agreement of 950 yuan was made between them.

2000, he showed at a CCTV talk show hosted by Cui. Here are some abstract of the dialogue, it was from Chinese version, I tried to turn a few into English:

Cui: I heard when you applied for the teaching job at Northwest Minority University, you said: "I was a primary school teacher before and collected some teaching experiences, so I want to be a college teacher:)"
David: Pretty much!
Cui: Is you salary enough to make both ends meet?
David: Sure, except the bread tickets, and stamps, my main expenditure is on my telephone calls back home. I think 300-400 yuan is enough...

... ...

David takes a China national flag with him wherever he goes, when asked why, he said "I take it with me to remind myself from time to time that I am in China, I should speak beautiful Chinese. When my Chinese visitors see the national flag on the wall of my room, the gap between us narrowed. I keep telling myself when looking at it 'You are a teacher in China, you should work for Chinese.' "
... ...

David was asked to bring all of his belongings to the talk show, he did and the following is the list:
1, A football cap;
2, A photo album with pictures of his family, friends and students;
3, An exquisite photo frame;
4, A few clothes including a military uniform his father used forty years ago.
5, A pair of gym shoes, seemed never washed;
6, A lunch box, shaver and tooth brush and other simple commodities.
7, A national flag of China.

David was not my teacher though I hoped he was. I remembered when he was teaching in Northwest Minorities University in Lanzhou, we several David's fans went to the English Corner of the university every sunday afternoon to listen to his speech and talked to him. It was such a great memory.

Oct 8, 2005 20:52
  • RITA
David is one of the greatest and the most selfless man I have EVEN seen in person in my life.

Even should be 'ever':-)
Oct 8, 2005 20:55
  • CALIFORNIA
I have seen the program on CCTV.Yes,he is a greatest man!and I am melting!!!
Oct 8, 2005 21:02
  • RITA
I missed the talk show unfortunately, but I knew him long before;-)
------------------------------------------------
If he ever knew that in this world, perhaps the most powerful 'religion' is called 'American Dream' - Be rich, "big, big house and big big car", beautiful wives ...

He is a lucky man to live totally in his own world - a beautiful one.
Oct 8, 2005 21:16
  • CALIFORNIA
yes,he has his own life,and enjoy it everyday!I just heard that an american woman worked in a village in yunnan as a teacher:-)Great!!!
Oct 8, 2005 21:28
  • RITA
Correction:
"David is an American, came to China in about 1995(I am not very sure of that). "
I found the record of the talk show on CCTV.com, it was in 1994 David first came to China.
-----------------------------------------------
Cui: I heard that you are 32 yrs old, what's your plan for "personal problem" (about girlfriend or marriage_ Rita)
David: Can I advertise here? It will be fine to find one in this country.
Cui: What kind of girlfriend you prefer, any qualifications?
David: Female, that's enough, and she should be happy to live like this...
Cui: Support your career?
David: We should have some common ground, like thoughts, belief, philosophy, etc. That's basic, it won't work if we fight for money, big house...
... ...
Oct 8, 2005 21:30
  • RITA
The link on CCTV:
http://www.cctv.com/news/talkshow/talkshow2.html

Select at the left column "大卫正传"
Oct 8, 2005 23:36
  • MAY001
He's the kind of man we wanted to be when we still have dreams
Dec 4, 2007 02:06
GUEST24642 a great man--I think
Jan 3, 2008 21:21
GUEST11211 I'm a Chinese!
I love David very much!
He is better than a great man!
Dec 28, 2008 05:45
GUESTLEO Please let me know how to contact with David M. Deems.
Thank you!

My mail, gmail.com|leosunvictor
Tel: 86-29-81719769
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: David M. Deems - A Great Teacher
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code