Menu
Greetings from Changsha
Jun 24, 2004 17:42
  • BETH
I can feel that you are really passionate and enthusiastic for Hunan and Changsha, which makes me think it is your second hometown!
Jul 30, 2004 00:00
  • LYNNE
Hi Anne,

I was so glad to find this website! My son (20 years old) just left for Changsha on Tuesday to do an internship at Lee Propane & Gas for a year. I have not heard from him yet and am anxious to know he made it safe and sound. Have you heard of this company and do you know if they have a general e-mail address? My son will have one when he gets set up and will give it to me but unfortunately he does not understand the urgency of mothers!! Thank you for all the information regarding the kindness of the people and the healthfulness of the food! That is comforting for me to know. I will be checking this site daily and will look forward to hearing more from you! Thank you very much!

Lynne
Aug 11, 2004 03:45
  • WUSIKA
Hi Anne!

I am considering teaching in Changsha. I am not native speaker, but I am ready to take up the challenge. I am suppose to work for Tide Intel Overseas Education Co. Do you by any chance know anything about this company or have you ever heard about it?
Anyhow, I am so excited coming to China again. I was in Kunming for one year - just love China.
Hope to meet you!

Urska
P.S: is it possible to get health insurance there and what are the costs?
Aug 26, 2004 15:20
  • TANIAWANG
Dear Anne,
I'm teaching in Zhangjiajie, and my husband (who's Chinese) and I have started cheap tours with foreign teachers in mind.
I am interested in rough travel, backpacking through minority villages (and seeing some famous sights along the way like Zhangjiajie, Fenghuang and Yangshuo.
We're doing a 7 day hiking,biking trip of Guangxi this National Day if you're looking for something
adventurous.
If you're interested, I'll send you the details.
Cheers for now!
Tania :)
Feb 2, 2005 02:47
  • BARBE
Hello, I am new to this site and so pleased that I could learn specifically about Changsha. My husband is studying TCM and we will be in Changsha in Sept/Oct 05. I am very interested in teaching English and helping my 13 year old son learn as much about China as possible. We will be there for approx. 2-4 months as my husband will need to continue his studies in Canada. Are travel arrangements best made through Hong Kong and train to Hunan? And will our family be best served in a private apartment? We are strict tao vegetarians(no pungent vegetables) and worry that the restaurants wont be appropriate for us. Nice to meet you. Barbe
Feb 2, 2005 09:48
  • HEYJUDE
Hi, Barbe!
Nice to see you! The time you choose to come is just the best season, you will surely have a wonderful experience here in Changsha!

Yes, you may make you travel arrangement through Hong Kong, but you need transfer from HK to Guangzhou and then take train from Guangzhou to Changsha, coz there is no direct train of HK/Changsha. Since you wil be here for 2-4 months, you'd better be served in a private apartment. The problem is as you said that you may not be used to the food here. Hunan cuisine is famous for its thick and pungent flavors. Chili, pepper and shallot are often used in the dishes. Maybe the best solution is to cook your own meals.
Feb 3, 2005 02:53
  • BARBE
thank you for your reply...are you in Changsha? if so, how long? I admit that I am nervous about international travel with my son along, are there many english speakers around? I have typical Mommy worries- what if he gets lost, separated, etc. Do expates put their children in an english school while there, do you know? And how does one go about renting an apartment for 2-4 months. Thanks for any advise at all. Im starting from ground zero here!
Feb 3, 2005 02:55
  • BARBE
We are very interested in your tours. We wont be there for a while yet but I dont want to lose the info. Can you email me personally about packages? Thanks, Barbe
Feb 4, 2005 01:40
  • SKYLINECN
I will be in Changsha around Feb.15,2005. I can't wait.
Feb 4, 2005 14:02
  • DEE0228
Hi, Barbe,

I'm not in changsha, I'm in Xi'an now. I just went there once several years ago. To be honest, if you not travel with a group or have a private tour guide, I'm afraid you could not manage the things alone. Not many english speakers there, but you may find some in campus or english language schools.
I'm still not clear about if you will come to teach in China or just travel for some time. If you decide to teach in a language school, you should at least teach for a semester(4-6 months) and you need contact with some schools in advance.

Best Wishes!
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Greetings from Changsha
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code