Menu
Suzhou Hangzhou advice please
Jan 17, 2006 11:02
  • CHRIS345
I plan to travel to Shanghai around April 15 2006. My schedule would be 4 or 5 days in Shanghai, plus 2 side trips to Suzhou and Hangzhou (spelling?).

I plan to stay one night in Suzhou and one or two nights in Hangzhou. Here are my questions:

- Is it worth spending a night in Suzhou (so that I have more time to explore the city), or one full day from Shanghai is enough?

- Is it worth spending a couple of nights in Hangzhou? It looks so amazing on pictures and so peaceful that I am thinking of staying there for 2 mights.

- Are any of these towns easy to explore on your own, or do you run the risk of missing a lot of things because you don't know where to go (I have Lonely Planet guide, Frommers, Fodors, etc. but still.... maybe I would need a local guide. Any advice?)

- I have read somewhere on this board that there is a possibility to go from Suzhou to Hangzhou by boat. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it worth it, too risky, too grungy, etc.?

- Any other suggestion for a side trip? My time is limited though.

My budget is okay, not unlimited but I don't need to stay in hostels either. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you to all.

Christine

Jan 17, 2006 18:47
  • RITA
"...Suzhou and Hangzhou (spelling?). "

The spellings of these two cities are correct in Pinyin.
---------------------------------------
"- Is it worth spending a night in Suzhou .......? "

One full day from Shanghai is enough, but considering the hotel roomrate in Suzhou maybe much lower than in Shanghai, staying one night there and returning the next morning will be good, also.
-------------------------------------------
"- Is it worth spending a couple of nights in Hangzhou?......"

One night there (means two days:)) is fairly enough. Hotel roomrate in Hangzhou is much lower than SH, too.

----------------------------------------------
"- Are any of these towns easy to explore on your own, or ......"

Get some materials online or wherever else before you set out, you won't miss anything interesting on your own in these three cities.

"- I have read somewhere on this board that there is a possibility to go from Suzhou to Hangzhou by boat."

Yes, it is possible to travel by boat between the two cities, if you take boat as mere transportation, because nothing exciting along the river, and it takes about one night. Well, if you want to experience, go ahead and do it.:-)

"- Any other suggestion for a side trip? My time is limited though."

Zhouzhuang or Wuzhen are very nice places, but these two water towns are the same type - choose one of them (personally I think Wuzhen is better, but a little bit farther.)

Pacific Luck Hotel, Peace Hotel are good hotels to live near the bund.
Jan 17, 2006 18:56
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
Your time is really limited. IMO, u don't need to stay in Shanghai for 4 or 5 days if u just want to go sightseeing. Suzhou and Hangzhou are amazing cities where u can spend more time. Now let me answer ur questions.

1. Suzhou is pretty city but quite small. u can finish sightseeing in a whole day if u don't go to Zhouzhuang, an ancient water village.

2.Hangzhou is really amazing city. And it's also quite a big city. So you'd better stay there for 2 days or more.

3. I think u need a guide. Many of the attractions in these two cities are full of Chinese culture and arts. If u go there alone, u might not fully understand them.

4. Yes, u can go there by boat. But I'm not sure about the condition of the boat.

last, if u have time, i suggest u to read the travel reviews in this site. They can help u a lot. What's more, the CITY GUIDE in this site is also a good choice for u to know more about Suzhou, Shanghai, Hangzhou.

Enjoy your stay in China and Good Luck!
Jan 17, 2006 19:00
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,rita,I love your style,so I copy it,thanks!

"...Suzhou and Hangzhou (spelling?). "

Exactly in Pinyin.
"- Is it worth spending a night in Suzhou .......? "

I think one fully day is ok!But I think two days in Suzhou more comfortable!
-------------------------------------------
"- Is it worth spending a couple of nights in Hangzhou?......"

I agree with rita,two days for hangzhou is ok!
"- I have read somewhere on this board that there is a possibility to go from Suzhou to Hangzhou by boat."

Yes, about one night from suzhou to hangzhou,you can't see anything!

"- Any other suggestion for a side trip? My time is limited though."

Yes,some water towns around the two cities,zhouzhuang,wuzhen,xitang,luzhi,nanxun and tongli,everyone is amazing!
------------------------------------------------

Have a nice trip!
Jan 18, 2006 07:20
  • CHRIS345
Rita, Siva, California, thank you all so much. This helps me a lot. Nothing like drawing on the experience of others. I am extensively researching this trip on this forum and any other I can find (don't be surprised if you see my original post in a few other forums ! I posted everywhere I coud think of..). Anyway, I am looking forward to this trip and your advice will make it more enjoyable.

Christine
Jan 29, 2006 03:45
  • L2L2
I went to Shanghai, Hangzhou and Suzhou in the end of August 2002.
I stayed 2 days in Suzhou and Hangzhou, and I think it was not too much.

The modern town of Suzhou is not interesting, but the gardens are pure marvels, so I advise you to visit a lot of them. There is also the Silk Museum and if you are interested in chinese opera, ther is a small museum in the old part of the town, with no foreigners around (but not easy to find without help).

I was very disappointed by the new "Panmen". Don't waste time by going there.
Hangzhou also deserves at least 2 days. Apart the West lake, I recommend the green surroundings, such as the Tea museum.

I wish you a nice journey
Jan 30, 2006 06:14
  • JENNYSL
My favorite is definitely Hangzhou, where you should spend many more days. And why do you want to spend so many days in Shanghai? coming to entertainment, pubs, and all the stuff you can see in a big city, shanghai is good. but coming to chinese culture, history and natural beauty, it doesn't have much to offer. and i really don't understand why people think of china, they think of beijing and shanghai only. Find out more about Hangzhou at this page:

www.mandacenter.com

It is a webpage of a language school in Hangzhou but it contains gorgeous information about Hangzhou.

BTW, there is pleasure boat going from hangzhou to suzhou and that takes a few hours only, not a night. and you can take in the life of modern china taking such a ride.
Jan 30, 2006 07:23
  • CHRIS345
Dear JennySL,

The reason I am planning to stay a few days in Shanghai is that it seems to have plenty to offer in terms of history. I am still working on an itinerary, but as of now, this is how it shapes up:
1) I arrive on saturday morning, go to hotel, etc. Once settled, I will do the Bund walk in the afternoon (Pudong side or Puxi, or both). In the Lonely Planet guide, there is even an extra walk you can tack on that goes through the old town.
2) On Sunday, I visit the Shanghai Museum, and walk Nanjing Dong Lu.
3) Monday is YuYuan garden and the french concession, the markets aruond the garden, and if I can find my way there, the Jade Buddha temple.
4) Tuesday visit to Suzhou
5) Wesdnesday Hangzhou.
6) Thursday return to Shanghai to do whatever I missed
7) Friday I leave for HongKong.

Maybe all I want to see in Shanghai can be done in less time than I have projected. What do you think?

I am very interested in this leisure boat between Suzhou and Hangzhou that you are mentioning. Can you give me more details (is there a website, where do I get tickets, etc.)?

Thank you for your help.

And thanks to L2L2 also for the little travelogue.

Christine
Jan 30, 2006 20:56
  • CARLHAWK
Thanks for the basics you've offered as advice. Do any of you have options or suggestions for things young kids (ages 4-10) might find interesting or exciting in Suzhou, Hangzhou, or Shanghai? We're traveling there at the end of March. Thanks for whatever ideas you can provide!
Feb 24, 2006 21:49
  • BEEJAY
Hi.
I am new to the forum. Has anybody found out any more information regarding the Leisure boat between Suzhou and Hangzou. It would be the ideal way to visit both places.
Sep 10, 2009 04:56
GUESTJY hi,

I am going for a biz trip to yiwu, so after tat i had around 3d2n to extend, any recommendation?
My last night will need to be at hangzhou as i am taking a flight back from there. is there any other suggestion on what we can do over there? I will definitely want to go west lake but it seem like nothing much.

How long to travel to shanghai? any interesting there to see? is it expensive.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks alot =)
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Suzhou Hangzhou advice please
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code