Menu
In Kunming are there memories of WWII AVG & CNAC?
Feb 7, 2006 03:34
  • ROGERINCA
Yes, you are quite correct !!

The airfield construction at Chengtu, (now Chengdu) began in November, 1943 and was completed near the end of May, 1944. The construction of the four 8,500 foot long runways, for the heavy B-29’s, was accomplished in record time, with the service of 300,000 local Chinese workers, all by hand and body labor, and without the aid of any heavy construction equipment !!

In a previous post, I misstated the outlying areas of Chengtu, where the airfields were constructed. The correct four sites in the Chengtu area of China, assigned to the B-29 operation were-- Kwanghan, Kuinglai, Hsinching, and Pengshan.

I wonder if current residents of Chengdu, in Sichuan Province, can advise if there are any historic remnants of the old airfields still remaining today ??

Sep 13, 2006 22:15
  • KUSAK
I see this thread ended. I am son of CNAC pilot Steve Kusak (and Rossi is my godfather). I have some pics (and movies) from them. Maytbe whenin laptop I can send.
As previous posts, I want t see monument. But specially airfield.
Good info and pics www.cnac.arg
Thanks
Feb 4, 2012 16:52
GUEST19673 Stumbled upon this website. My father was stationed at Kunming during the war. He talked about running supplies up and down the Burma road. He also spoke about kicking out supplies from the side of C-47's. He lost a good friend that was a pilot named Pappy Jack. So enjoyable listening to the stories. He talked about having to leave the airstrip when the Japs were coming to bomb and going up in the hills to watch them fly over the airport. He said it was between two mountains. B.J.
Jan 2, 2013 19:09
GUEST53970 My father was an Arly Air Corps weatherman in Kunming. As I understand it, they neeeded very good weather windows t fly thise propeller planes "Over the hump" and relied on the weather forecasts. Does anyone know more about this?
John Shea
Holland MI
Nov 2, 2016 09:42
GUEST29118 I know that this is a real long shot because I see that this was written over 10 years ago but father Carlton (Carl) Sheldon was part of Operation Matterhorn. Before he died he told me things about it much like the post by Rogerinca.
He did not go to the Marianas Islands. He stayed behind to wrap things up.
As you may know Matterhorne was originally in India.
I believe that my father then went back there. My father died over 20 years ago.
If anyone know anything or wants to ask me what little I know I can be contacted at hotmail.com|mycatavenger Thank you Paul Sheldon
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: In Kunming are there memories of WWII AVG & CNAC?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code