resident do i need a visa for china - will be staying for less than 90
days and not working - so is a tourist visa something that is just
attached to your passport on entry to china, or do i need to apply
from the embassy before i travel ?....

thanks!
Feb 6, 2006 18:33
  • JABAROOTOO
YES WE ALL NEED A VISA

You definately need a viza and you need to apply for one before embarking on you trip. You will definately not just pick one up at a Chinese port of entry.

You also need to supply a draft of your itinerary, where you plan to visit and if you are styaing with friends or business contacts a letter of invitation from them is useful too.

All the best
Feb 6, 2006 18:42
  • RITA
You don't need a visa to visit Hong Kong, but for all the other places in China, you need to get one before you embark.
Just in case, if you go from mainland China to Hong Kong and back to mainland, you'll need a double entry visa, if you have to go back and forth several times, you need a multi-entry visa.

Good luck!
Feb 6, 2006 21:20
  • JAVAGURL
Both of the above posters are right. If you want to enter China, you HAVE to apply for a visa at your local embassy BEFORE you leave. As Rita mention, if you are only staying in China, you only need ONE visa entry. However, if you leave China for HK or other destinations and enter China again, you'll need to apply for two visa entries or multiple entries. My travel agent told me =) Have fun!
Feb 6, 2006 21:42
  • RITA
That's right, Javagurl. When foreign travelers travel between Hong Kong and mainland China, they'll realize that they travel within one country ( which is right), so this speical point might be slipped their minds. :-)
Feb 6, 2006 21:46
  • CALIFORNIA
One Nation,Two Systems:-)
Feb 6, 2006 21:50
  • JAVAGURL
hahaha I know what you mean Rita! It's really ironic how HK is China property, yet they function so differently. You would think when you're in HK, you're in CHina, but noooo hehe. Hence the need for multiple visa entries. To this day, I still don't get it haha
Feb 6, 2006 21:55
  • RITA
Haha~~~, Javagurl,

You are right. You know what is more ironic? I, a Chinese inside out, need special papers/ permits to go to Hong Kong.

You feel just perfectly right!! Hehe~
Feb 7, 2006 01:29
  • MAZPHD
wow! thats excellent advice , ok now i am clear and i can see where
the confusion occured too, 2 systems one country yikes its all
crazy! i love it ! \

on another note to get a visa is this best from the embassy and
how much does it cost, i think from the website its about ?40 but i
could be wrong?...
Feb 7, 2006 02:02
  • JUUGE
At least in Finland it is very easy to get Chinese visa. Just print application form from internet, fill it, put one photo of you in the corner and go to embassy with passport (plane tickets if you have) and application form. After three days you have the visa, and they make it in one hour too, but with extra price... This price you mentioned is guite near we have to pay here.

It is much more difficult for Chinese to get a visa to Shengen-area in EU. I have once called a Chinese biker to Finland and I had to make an invitation... then some bloody officer from our foreign office called me by phone and askes a lot of really stuped guestions... After all my friend got his visa.

(hmm.. I red somewhere this situation may be changed/changing just now, lets hope so.)
Feb 7, 2006 02:30
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,Jukka,

It is difficult for chinese to get a visa if you don't join a tourist group!That is why I don't want to travelling around the foreign countries.
Post a Reply to: visa's?!....
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code