Menu
TRAVEL TO XIANJIANG
Mar 6, 2006 03:24
  • STAKWIM
I don't know if I ever will travel there but I have always been curious about the daily lives of Moslem people living in China especially in Xianjiang which is part of the famous silk road. Is there any way that I can meet or correspond with English-speaking Moslems there? Are there budget hotels there? What is the fastest and cheapest way for you to travel there from Hong Kong? I am from Malaysia but I am not a Malaysian Chinese.

Sani
Mar 6, 2006 03:30
  • MAY001
The fastest way is to fly but it cost a lot of money. The cheaper way is to travel by train but cost a lot of time. You have to make a decision.
Mar 6, 2006 03:39
  • STAKWIM
Thanks for the quick reply. If you say that you can travel there by plane, how long will it take?How much approximately will it cost? And if its by train, is it by an express/non-stop train? Whats the cost? I really appreciate any answers on these. Thanks.

Sani
Mar 6, 2006 05:57
  • PINETREE
China has the 2nd most Moslems in the world after Indonesia. They are mainly on the western region particularly in Xinjiang province. Moslems ( in China they call them Hui ) are common sight in Beijing as well.

U can actually direct access to such useful info at the bottom of TCG's home page - under "China Flights" & "China Trains".

There is no direct flight from HK to Urumqi. But you can fly to there from Shenzhen - it takes about 5 hrs - longer than from KL to HK !!

Mar 6, 2006 19:04
  • MAY001
There are two flights from Shenzhen to Urumqi:

ZH9843, depart at 08:55 and arrive at 14:20. price: RMB 2930

CZ6882, depart at 16:15 and arrive at 23:00. price: RMB 2930

There's no direct train route from HK or Shenzhen to Xinjiang. You can transfer at Zhengzhou or some other cities. So I suggest you to travel by air.
Mar 6, 2006 19:15
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Sani,

In China,most moslems were minority:-)I just remembered we talked about this before,but I can't find that thread,Ok,there is the list:
Hui
Wei Wu Er,
Ha Sa Ke,
Ke er Ke Zi,
Wu Zi Bie Ke,
Ta Ta Er,
Ta Ji Ke,
Sa La(Qinghai)
Dong Xiang(Gansu),
Bao An(Gansu)......

Have a nice trip!

Mar 6, 2006 19:31
  • MAY001
Yes, Cali, you are right.
In fact, we can find many Moslems in almost every cities or towns of China! If u just want to know more about Moslems in China, u don't need to travel to Xinjiang. U can also visit Gansu, Ningxia, Shaanxi, Qinghai, etc.
Mar 6, 2006 20:57
  • STAKWIM
Dear All especially to May001,

Thanks for all the info. I never expected to get so many responses in a short time!You guys are great!You were recommending other places where there are Moslems.But can I sample almost similar environment as I can imagine I would feel if I am in Xianjiang?On the airlines which you were proposing, what is the name of the airlines? Are there any other airlines(local/international) as options for such travel? Thanks in advance.

Sani
Mar 7, 2006 02:45
  • MAY001
Hi STAKWIM,
Xinjiang is more special, I think. Because most of ppl there are Moslems. So the atmosphere and feeling might be quite different to other cities and provinces.
The airlines I mentioned:
ZH9843 belongs to Shenzhen Airline Company and CZ6882 belongs to China South Airline Company.
There are also several international lines from Central Asia to Urumqi. But I am not very sure about it, sorry.
Mar 7, 2006 03:48
  • ANDH
hello
I give you a web site. maybe can it help you.
http://www.kashgar.org/untitled0/untitled/en30.htm
http://www.kashgar.org/untitled0/untitled/en26.htm
http://www.kashgar.org/untitled0/untitled/en22.htm
Post a Reply to: TRAVEL TO XIANJIANG
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code