Menu
using Chinese ATM using cirrus & masestro
Nov 18, 2007 03:10
  • CHINADAVID
I've visited China many times this year . I've visited Nanning, Shenyang and Beijing and surrounding areas. I've used Maestro and Visa debit cards with little problem until my last trip in October when one of my Visa debit cards would only allow me 700rmb [approx. £46 ] per day.Check firmly with your bank before going and have a second account with another bank as back-up. Using the same machine my other account allowed me 4000 rmb per day, so it proved it was'nt the Chinese bank at fault.It appears that some banks,in attempt to protect you from fraud, they also protect you from accessing your own money.
Nov 18, 2007 17:01
  • LEETAHOE
Thanks for all the comments on this post. How will my bank in the states know how much the machines will allow in China?
Nov 21, 2007 09:27
  • BETWEENUS21
depending on yr country's bank atms issuance, the limit is encoded in the magnetic strip at source - so u need to inform yr issuing bank of the amount that u would like to withdraw whilst overseas.
Nov 23, 2007 10:43
  • APAULT
The 4/6 digit issue seems to have disappeared now, I think it might have been an old machine that gave me the problem.

be careful of ATM's in hotels, especially Citibank. They are not local and you might pay an international withdrawl fee of about A$5.

I would not expect your Aussie CommBank keycard to work as that is not an interational card. It must be a Visa/mastercard/cirrius/maestro linked card.

Dec 18, 2007 18:24
  • BTHERL
My Aussie Commonwealth Bank keycard has Maetsro on the front, and Cirrus and Eftpos on the back. I've used it to make Cirrus withdrawals in Singapore and Malaysia.

So I expect it to work in China's Cirrus ATMs too..

The charge is AUD$5 + 1%, which is better than most other banks in Australia charge. It used to be a flat $5 until 1 or 2 years ago.

Your withdrawal limit is the same as your limit in Australia (defaults to AUD$800 IIRC, you can call them and have it changed).

Some older ATMs do not let you choose savings or cheque account. I don't remember which it defaults to though.

My parents are heading to China in a few days, so I should have some updates after that :)
Dec 19, 2007 01:50
  • BETWEENUS21
ok if one uses the same bank atm in china for example if u use your citibank overseas atm card in China's citibank's atm - then the charge is mininal - and in most cases do not even have a service charge
Dec 19, 2007 10:41
  • APAULT
Ah, I was unaware Keycard carried Maestro and Cirrius, sorry for the wrong info.

Jan 14, 2008 02:20
GUEST79111 Has anyone had any luck using Cirrus/maestro cards in Hangzhou?
I've been looking for ages but still nothing!
J
Jan 24, 2008 18:18
  • BTHERL
My parents just got back from an Intrepid tour of China. They were well prepared and only used Cirrus once. Their bank is Commonwealth Bank in Australia.

They withdrew from an ATM identified in the statement as being on Pantao Rd in Gulin, but they say it was in Yangshou on West St. The withdrawal limit was 2500 yuan, which equated to AU$388.18 + AU$8.69 in fees+commission (that's $5 + 1%).

Mid-market rate from x-rates.com for that day was 6.377 yuan to AU$1, and the rate they got was 6.44 before fees+commission. That makes it a better rate than that quoted by x-rates.com! Not sure what's going on there.

BTW, they said it was VERY COLD! :)
Jan 25, 2008 18:12
  • APAULT
It is my experience in several countries over many years that I get a better rate on my card than I would get exchanging money. It's a pity about the fees though!

Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: using Chinese ATM using cirrus & masestro
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code