Menu
Living in Nanching
Mar 27, 2006 10:37
  • MUTIE
I wanted to get some feedback from some of you China veterans on what you thought about Nanching. I am considering a university teaching position there for a semester and wanted to get some feel for the place other than brief descriptions and a few snapshots. Maybe the pros and cons etc. Thanks, Jeff
Mar 27, 2006 18:08
  • PINETREE
Lucky you. I would have glady grabbed the opportunity without hesitation. It's an experience u will most likely not regret but will yearn for more.
Mar 27, 2006 18:10
  • PINETREE
But, yes, follow the advices of the expats stationed there & in the same industry.
Mar 30, 2006 06:18
  • JABAROOTOO
I've only spent a few hours in Nanjing but I loved it. It is a smaller city but still got all the things you'll need.

It's a subtropical climate so it's a very green city especially in the downtown and the newer sections of the city. On a big river and you'll find Pizza Hut, Macca's and KFC if you need to escape for a time.

There is a young guy who lives there who might be a useful contact when you arrive. (I'll see if I can find his name for you)
You could be going to a worse place for your first contract. Six months in not so long if you find it is not your cup of tea.

You can visit the beach just a few hours away in Beihai, (read about it in one of my reviews) and there are a few other places of interest both near and far to keep you busy in your time off.

Enjoy yourself
Mar 30, 2006 06:24
  • JABAROOTOO
Cancel that I was thinking of Nanning. so many places that sound the same but are very different.

There are some members from the city. You can try contacting this one LIBRALEON and read up on some of Mishen's travel review's

It is an interesting city and same applies as I wrote above. you'll find a lot more in the way of western influence there.

Nanning or Nanjing
Enjoy you visit
Jul 6, 2006 10:18
  • LOVEBUZZ
a kinda peaceful place..
not that big as beijing so that it wont be easy for u to get lost..
not that busy as shanghai so that u could get away from stress and the fake modern civilization..
but u could find most of what u want ,no matter if u r a fan of outdoors activity or a party animal.
Jul 7, 2006 06:36
  • LIALEXANDER
I lived there for 5 months in the past, I like the city, there are many good sides to it if you prefer a smaller city rather than a modern city.

a) people are very nice.
b) lots of place to go, it is an ancient city, it was a capital of 6 dynasty in Chinese history
c) cost of living is relevant low
d) foods are nice depend on your taste of course
e) you can find other expat links in http:www.modernchinaguide.com

hope it helps.
Post a Reply to: Living in Nanching
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code