Menu
Ancient Names Tell - Category 1_Capital Cities_Shenyang
May 10, 2006 02:17
  • RITA
Shenyang has a history of as long as 2300 years. In 300 BC, King of Yan defeated a group (I thought of using the term of ethnic group, but I think it maybe not specific, because Yan itself couldn't be called a majority, it was just a war between two groups of people) named Donghu people. The victory was followed by building Walls (we call it Great Wall today) to prevent future invasions of the defeated group. Then the King of Yan built a fortress and name it 侯城Houcheng or Marquis City. The fortress kept developing into a bigger town/ city into Han Dynasty (206BC~220AD), but the name of Houcheng was kept unchanged.

In the beginning of Liao Dynasty, Qidan契丹 entered east part of Liao, established Lejiao and Lingyuan nearby. Then built a clay city named Shenzhou沈洲 or the Continent of Shen as the private city of the King. in 1116, Jin emperor conquered Shenzhou, established 沈州 or the

State of Shen, (洲and 州 are two differnent characters with the same pronunciation).

When Yuan united the whole country, Shenzhou沈洲 was rebuilt, and promoted it to Shenyanglu沈阳路, Lu here was a unit of region that is not used today.

Accoring to records, the first time Shenyang was called Shenyang 沈阳 was in 1296, the beginning years of Yuan Dynasty.
... ...

Time traveled to 1636:-), Huangtaiji, one of the founder of Qing Dynasty officially renamed Shenyang as Shengjing (of course in Manchu language then, Shengjing was translated name.)

Since 1644, the year the capital moved from Shengjing to Beijing, the city's political status started to fell but economic status rose.

In 1657, Fengtian Government Office was established in Shengjing, ever since, the city had another name - Fengtian 奉天. Personally, Fengtian is the name I like the best, grand and proud...
--------------------------------------------------When collecting this information, I couldn't help being puffed up with pride, indeed, there are just too many things in this country including that we have already known and those yet to be known that make us so very proud...
May 10, 2006 02:26
  • MAY001
Wow, Rita, you are a great instructor!
May 10, 2006 03:08
  • PINETREE
Am beginning to know where were Liao, Jin, Nuzhen, etc. Thanks.
May 10, 2006 03:09
  • CALIFORNIA
Correctly,Fengtian is the old name of Liaoning Province,and Shengjing is Shenyang as the first capital of Qing Dynasty.
May 10, 2006 03:10
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Pinetree,

Sushen,Nvzhen,Mohe are all the old name of Manchurian in different dynasties.
May 10, 2006 03:17
  • RITA
Hi California,

You are right about Fengtian being the name of the Province then, more specific, Shenyang should be called 奉天府. But I heard Fengtian(Mukden) later became the name of the city also.

Thanks.
May 10, 2006 03:25
  • PINETREE
Hahaha, Cali !!
U know I learnt all these names when I read Jin Yong's novels only. But couldn't figure out where they were exactly. So these are the same people but called different names during different times in history. I see, I see.
May 10, 2006 03:29
  • CALIFORNIA
Oh,yes!You are right,Rita!!!Fengtianfu is exactly.

To pinetree:
I have read Jin Yong's novel,for example,"射雕英雄传",(She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan),by the way,I am sure you can understand chinese.

In that novel,the han called Nvzhenren "Jin Gou",I don't like that,and felt very bad when I read that!!!
May 10, 2006 03:47
  • PINETREE
Yes, understand how you must have felt when u read those novels. I suppose the Manchurians & Mongolians must have called the Han as "thief". It was just a novel, anyway. What Jin Yong wrote were not necessary true.
Btw, I understand that jin Yong is a Manchurian, too ?!
May 10, 2006 03:52
  • CALIFORNIA
From his family name,maybe he is manchurian or korean,I don't know!
May 10, 2006 03:55
  • RITA
Jin is actually not Jin Yong's real family name:-) Jin Yong is his pen name.

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Ancient Names Tell - Category 1_Capital Cities_Shenyang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code