Menu
Three Gorges Dam Project Finished
May 23, 2006 03:06
  • ROGERINCA
Artist’s Rendition.....

May 23, 2006 04:40
  • MAY001
Haha, Roger, I like your idea!
The newspaper said that we can take a submarine tour in the near future to visit the under water cities and towns, culture relics and antiques.
Again, Great!!
May 23, 2006 21:27
  • LEMONCACTUS
This is a difficult one Rita.

A monumental project without doubt with the potential to benefit many people...

but 1.3 million people displaced
and
so many archeological sites & agricultural lands flooded never to be recovered

whether this price was worth it we might never know.

May 24, 2006 04:57
  • MAY001
I think the living should be pay more attention. As we all know, the dam will deal with the flood of Yangtze River which almost occured every year. If there was no dam, it might flood this year, next year, next next year and more and more people may died.
Yes, it is a pity that many archeological sites were covered by water. But I do believe it is worth.
May 24, 2006 21:00
  • ROGERINCA
Yes May !!!
May 28, 2006 21:44
  • PINETREE
To me, this is a great project in the sense that it is intended to provide water, electricity ++ to the surrounding areas. I heard that eventually some of the water from here would be diverted northwards to the drier areas like BJ.
The objective is great and the Chinese govt should be applauded for it despite that some historicals will be lost and probably a lot of lives will be changed & objections from certain quarters outside China(as usual). It is for a bigger cause & for the people of China.
That this project when completed will turn into a tourist attraction is something of lesser importance. It is a great achievement which should rightly be broadcast to the world. It reflects the capabilities of the Chinese govt/people - u can, we can do better !!
May 28, 2006 21:47
  • CALIFORNIA
In fact,it's nothingg for me!!!
May 28, 2006 22:52
  • SAYHITOANT
Thanks to Rogerinca, now I have a little knowledge on The Three Gorge Dam Project.

Anyway, I read that a Chinese citizen made the following comments when asked about the impact of the project on the Yangtze River:

'The Three Gorges Dam, that's like making Chiling Lin (a famous & pretty Taiwaness girl) short and fat. All its beauty is gone!'
Oct 4, 2007 12:41
  • APAULT
It's interesting to see that a couple of weeks ago a Chinese scientific group expressed concern about the dam. Not only were 1.75 million displaced but the environment downstream will be severly compromised because they depend on flooding and many more people would lose out, but there would also be a very high rate of siltation which would cause many problems in the dam and reduce its life...which puts paid to the cool idea of submarine trips that were previously suggested in this thread.

In Australia we had a big project which we were so proud of, the Snowy River scheme...but now we are seeing there are hidden costs.
Jan 23, 2008 12:04
GUEST10219 that dam is doing so much and i think ( i know that a bad thin but a did) that it a great thing to do.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Three Gorges Dam Project Finished
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code