Menu
Cigar smoking in China
Jun 13, 2006 10:36
  • GRIZ326
Few questions about smoking in China:

I smoke fine cigars and plan on taking 1 or 2 for each day of my trip. Will I get the cigars through Chinese customs?

Is smoking permitted in the cities?

Is smoking permitted in the villages?

Is it proper to offer a cigar to a man (or woman)?

Jun 13, 2006 10:50
  • LOVECHINA2
Griz,
I had no problem bring somkes with me to China but you are limited with how many.Why bother when you get buy Real Cuban cigars in China:))
As for if your permitted to smoke in City or villages.Any place that I went smoking was permitted except where you see "No Smoking"signs.
Yes,you can offer a man a smoke and many times I was offered first:) but I don't think I would offer a woman a smoke as most Chinese women do not smoke.
Jun 13, 2006 11:58
  • APAULT
Yes, unfortunately you can smoke almost anywhere in China, but matters will improve !!
Jul 22, 2006 16:49
  • BOBBYV03
Can I bring cigars (possibly Cubans) back into the United States? I am under 18. (I don't smoke)
Jul 22, 2006 18:06
  • GRIZ326
Technically speaking, a US citizen cannot legally smoke a Cuban anywhere in the world - ANYWHERE! ...much less bring them back into the country! The exception would be if you are a diplomat.

All of the Cuban cigars I saw in China were counterfeits, however, I did not seek out fine tobacco shops...only ordinary tobacco shops...so I am certain you can find authentic Cuban cigars. Do you have the knowledge to identify them? I am a long time cigar smoker and cigar collector; only rarely can I identify a Cuban cigar by smelling it, I rely on triple-cap standards, quality of the band, and the box codes. If you do not know what that means - you are certain to buy counterfeits!

Expect to pay $20 USD/160 RMB minimum for a premium, Cuban cigar. If you pay any less, authenticity is in question.

That said, Chinese tobacco and blending is quite good...so you might enjoy the counterfeits.

BTW - Why are you smoking cigars at 18? I cannot imagine that you have earned enough that you can truly afford them. Are you planning on smuggling?
Jul 22, 2006 18:21
  • BOBBYV03
I don't smoke. My friend asked me to bring back a cigar. I guess my real question is can I bring back a cigar or two through customs even though I am under 18?
Jul 23, 2006 02:45
  • GRIZ326
Short answer: NO.

Practical answer: maybe...

Reality: it is unlikely you will buy Cuban cigars unless you can authoritatively identify them.

AND...if they are labeled as Cuban cigars and are detected...they will be seized even if counterfeit. Taking the band off of them automatically makes them Cuban cigars and contraband to US customs.
Jul 23, 2006 10:43
  • LOVECHINA2
Bobby,
Griz is right!! You are not allowed Cuban Cigars and you better know how to tell a real Cuban from the counterfeits and there are a lot of them!!There is a web site that tells you many ways to tell a real Cuban from the fakes.I had to go to a high end smoke shop to find the real ones and like Griz said,they are not cheap.

Jul 23, 2006 10:46
  • BOBBYV03
Ok, I will probably end up not bringing ANY kind of cigar back to the States. I'll bring my friend something a little healthier.
Jan 17, 2008 23:10
GUEST33930 how many people there smoke cigars
Feb 24, 2008 00:52
  • ELLYSE
Not that many!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Cigar smoking in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code