Menu
Translating Chinese with Babelfish
Jun 22, 2006 00:18
  • GRIZ326
My lady friend sent me an email in Chinese characters. I translated it using Babelfish and it said, "My Dear Alexander, I love you."

I was terribly disappointed and told her. (my name is Steve) She sent me the line in English and it was nothing like the Babelfish translation. I was embarassed and apologized.

So today, I wrote an email using Babelfish to generate the Chinese characters. ...and it struck me to translate it back into English... OYE! It didn't even make sense.

So, I wrote and translated, re-wrote and re-translated until the Babelfish Chinese translation from English and the Babelfish of the Chinese back into English were similar.

I had no idea of how hard this woman was working to read my and mails and respond. I spent almost 3 hours on a 10 line email. ...and I've been sending her rambling emails of many pages.

I am humbled by her dedication.

Thank heavens we have two talking dictionaries for my visit.
Jun 22, 2006 00:26
  • GRIZ326
I should add, the characters of her English translation, matched the characters displayed by the talking dictionary. ...so I knew Babelfish was really goofy!
Jun 22, 2006 01:17
  • PEA28COCK
Hey,

What are you talking about???
Jun 22, 2006 01:32
  • PINETREE
Steve is telling his experience on eletronic translation.
Keep trying, Steve. Just be careful that it may end up completely different and give a great deal of misunderstanding between both of u.
Jun 22, 2006 01:44
  • LOVEISVERB
Right, one should be careful using translation machines, they cause misunderstandings easily.

Online communications (PMs, emails, chatting...) aren't easy...
Post a Reply to: Translating Chinese with Babelfish
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code