Menu
Gmail from China???
Aug 22, 2006 13:45
  • GRIZ326
Will I be able to use my gmail account to send and receive mail while I am in China?

I'm setting up my travel computer for next year's trip. :)
Aug 22, 2006 13:46
  • GRIZ326
oooophs....

gmail is Google's mail service....
Aug 22, 2006 19:00
  • RITA
Yes, absolutely. I am using Gmail sending and receiving emails. No problem at all.
Have a nice trip!
Aug 22, 2006 19:01
  • RITA
LOL

I heard Gmail account is not available in foreign countries. :-)))
Aug 22, 2006 22:21
  • LEON4587
sometime Gmail is not easy to open,but most of time is ok
Aug 22, 2006 22:21
  • GRIZ326
Good deal...

Thank you...
Aug 23, 2006 09:59
  • APAULT
Hello Griz

Sorry to disagree with some other contributorsbut Gmail is unreliable in China. I have been here for a year and frequently experience problems... it was especially bad in Shanghai, though I dont know if it was the location or the dates.

I often have a problem logging in, or when logged in, it willnot send, or you cannot delete. If you look beneath the live chat section on the left, you will see a message that reads something like "Google is haveing some technical difficulties"

So if you need to be sure, runs asecond a/c with someone else and have colleagues email to both.

Also what sort of connection are u planning? Will u be resident somewhere, or travelling? If the latter you may have difficulty connecting in net bars. In many you have trouble even using a USB device, or inserting a data disc, such as where I am at now. I met one person who was freeloading on unsecure wireless connections, but of course that is unreliable.
Aug 23, 2006 14:38
  • GRIZ326
I was hoping to use wireless connections as I travel.

So are you saying the government blocking gmail? ...or that you are having connection troubles?
Aug 23, 2006 19:39
  • RITA
I have been using Gmail for a long time and I receive and send emails almost daily, i have never come across the problems Paul mentioned, and I don't need special settings (such as proxy server or the like) to access. BTW, I am in Xian.

Good luck!
Aug 26, 2006 10:00
  • APAULT
I expereinced these problems in Hebei, Shanghai, Guandong and many other smaller locations. I don't think it is govt blocking, but there is some problem.
Aug 26, 2006 15:31
  • MISHEN
Gmail's definitely not blocked in China! I occasionally have login problems of the nature that you usually see with network bottlenecking and other such network issues. I occasionally use a proxy server to get around it, which usually works.

Wireless access is ok in big cities, but in most places in China, hotspots are hard to find. Where are you going tobe travelling through?
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Gmail from China???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code