Menu
Gmail from China???
Jul 8, 2009 02:12
  • ELLYSE
Maybe you were just unlucky? I've been in China for 6 years, mostly in Shanghai, and I haven't experienced any really major problems.
Oct 1, 2009 06:53
GUEST96141 these "technical problems" are of course part of government's blocking actions.
It's just "nicer" than blocking it at all, that would make people suspicious and the world talking again. It's kind of smart to pretend "Technical problems" now and then, because people will get annoyed using g-mail after a while and change their email-adress, probably to a government-friendly different provider that works perfectly without interuption. My chinese friend is using G-mail as well and never had ANY technical problems when she was all around the world and now back in China, she's complaining about G-mail all the time....
Oct 2, 2009 11:08
GUEST21340 Thanks for the information.
Oct 21, 2009 21:23
GUEST14148 I dont agree with you. Gmail in China is ok all the time.
Oct 25, 2009 18:02
GUEST32076 hehehehe. You must be using gmail once a week my friend. I use gmail frequently every day. So I can tell you that there are problems. I am here today looking for answers because I can't get into gmail this morning.
Oct 26, 2009 01:51
GUEST04154 Well, sometimes gmail didn't work. Recently Google has in a big trouble. A group of Chinese authors declares that Google has violated their copyright. At the beginning of this month, Google made a deal with those 50 authors on the compensation issue. However, they seemed to be unsatisfied with Google's offer. It seems that Google China has really annoyed Chinese authorities.
Mar 17, 2010 12:56
GUESTPATRICK I will be traveling to China next month. Any recent news on Gmail access with all of the Google controversy going on?
Jun 5, 2010 11:09
GUESTJAG I am going to startg working in Shanghai. I am wondering if my gmail system will work in China?
Jun 5, 2010 11:19
  • ELLYSE
Yes.
Jun 6, 2010 06:01
  • APAULT
I used to have a few problems but have not had any for more than 2 years.

If you access Google, the default on the Mainland was the local one, but since that closed it is to the Hong Kong Google site. I set my home page to Google.com.au which suits my situation and I mostly bypass HK. When nou Google search and get HK, simply change the ".com.hk" in the URL address bar to your prefered alternative.

But of course, anticipate that you will not be able to access some sites you are used to...eg Facebook and Twitter. Using proxies ovecomes this tho most do not allow you to post or make changes.
Page 3 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Gmail from China???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code