Menu
HELP ! English writting skills for beginners
Aug 31, 2006 02:09
  • CONNY129
I found it is really hard to write a article , I lost confidence when writting my travel review ,my article is dull with no beautiful description and wonderful story. Who can help me with a good writing method :(
Aug 31, 2006 02:39
  • PINETREE
Hahaha !! U are not a native English speaker. U were writing in a foreign language. How many of our English speakers here can write a review in CHinese ?
I thot ur article was quite good for a start. I believe that through practice, one can get better. So just try writing more, Conny.
Aug 31, 2006 02:54
  • CONNY129
Thanks for your encouragement ,Pinetree. Would you please give me some more advices ? I should recite a English dictionary when I was in college :(
Aug 31, 2006 03:41
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,conny,

If you read my articles,that you will get more confidence,haha:-)

It doesn't matter!Just show your feeling during travelling to us.

That't ok!
Aug 31, 2006 03:44
  • DREAMCATCHER
Hey Conny...like Pinetree said..you are doing OK with your travel reviews. I used to read a lot of story books, magazines etc. Just about anything I can get hold of. I don't refer to the dictionery even if I come across a unfamiliar word. The idea is to get the complete story based on the article. I will only check the words if it appears again and again. Checking the dictionery frequently disrupts the story and the article. Keep reading and reading and you will definitely improve.

The other thing is to be descriptive and expend the subject. In other words, be "luo suo".

Say you are writing about a red apple. Everybody knows what is a red apple. So....

One day Dreamcatcher gave me a red apple. He came all the way rom Singapore just to give me a red apple....aaawwwwll...what a guy!! what an expensive red apple....3005 yuan including airfare.

At first glance, it look like a Washington State red apple. But I'm not too sure. It has the same typical WS red apple shape but then it wasn't as red as I had imagine it to be. There were patches of darker red here and there. But WS red apples have lesser patches of darker red. I'm sure of that. The WS red apples also reminds me of those popular bright-red lipsticks that the 1950 actresses used to apply. Remember Suzie Wong? I'm sure you do. When the light shines on my expensive red apple, it glows. It glows like a bright red light bulb in the distance... haha....now the room does have a faint tinge of red. My, oh my..what an amazing WS red apple. It must be really fresh to shine like that. Red apples don't shine like that if it is over 5-days old. I love the shiny red apple. No apple looks like it and feels like it. American produce the best red apples. What a beauty. It feels good, it feels great and it feels smooth to the touch. Ha...I have never fell more in love with red apple before.

Maybe it was due to the wax on the skin? Am I blushing?..nono!!.. it must be the reflection of the light on the beautiful red apple bouncing off my face. I love the shiny red apple. I don't want to take a bite. I don't want to eat it. I'm going to put it in a white bowl.TThe reflection of the light on the red apple will turn the bowl into a touch of subtle apple red. Waaaa!!

I have to stop here ...if you have reach this point of the story..sorry guys... I am trying to be a spin-doctor...haha....should I continue?

Aug 31, 2006 03:50
  • CONNY129
Oh ,my God , Dreamcatcher .I cann't believe a Red Apple can have such a long long story ,lol~~

Cali , I love your story truely :)
Aug 31, 2006 03:56
  • CALIFORNIA
Thanks,conny!

But it's nothing with languages,just a "流水帐"!I think your english is better than me,so go ahead!
Aug 31, 2006 04:02
  • PINETREE
Hey, u guys/gals having fun without me ?
These guys are good people, COnny.
But seriously your English is quite good, in my view. Don't always compare yourself to the "native English speakers". Keep trying and you will surely become better. Dream is funny but good advice.
Cali is doing fine too.
Aug 31, 2006 04:17
  • CONNY129
Thank you all my dear friends , with your encouragement I finally finished my travel review "One day in Chongqing " ,it is not that excellent than others , but I am glad that I can
share my experience with all of you :)
Aug 31, 2006 04:25
  • CALIFORNIA
Great job,conny!

I'd like to read your story:-)
Post a Reply to: HELP ! English writting skills for beginners
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code