Menu
May be teaching in Shenyang
Sep 3, 2006 18:56
  • SONICMAN
I was recently offered a position at Shenyang Normal University, and have a few questions.

The position pays approximately 3000-3500 yuan, and housing is paid. Is this something I would be able to live on?

Also, I am assuming that high speed internet will be available there, as it is a major university in a very large city. Would I be able to access the entire web though? I know that there are censorship issues; I have a MySpace page, yahoo and google e-mail accounts, and a couple message boards that I post on, and am concerned that I may not be able to access all of these. I would also like to be able to IM family back home, which would seem less expensive than phoning.

One final thing (don't laugh, please) -- I haven't missed a single Kansas City Chiefs football game in years, would I be able to see them on satellite television?

I am really excited about this opportunity. It is a very intimidating prospect, however; I would be very far from home or any family or friends, and surrounded by a very foreign culture. Thank you in advance for any of these questions that you can help me with, they will help to alleviate my concerns.
Sep 3, 2006 22:14
  • RITA
I am sure you can live on 3000~3500 per month if you are not going to travel during vacations(at least no long distance travels), public holidays, no regular pub visiting, and don't have to bring people (as time goes by, you will make friends) out for dinner OFTEN, etc., that will be ok. BUT, in my opinion, i have to say......their offer is just so so.

All those webpages you listed are available in China, though some members here reported that the Gmail account might be unstable due to connection or whatever the reason. But no major problems and none of those are censored in China.

Your last question, ok, it's my turn to say: don't laugh , please. I don't watch TV:-)), know almost nothing about it, other members here are more qualified to answer this question. :D

Best wishes!
Sep 3, 2006 22:29
  • SONICMAN
Thanks!
I don't watch TV anymore much either. I haven't even had a TV for 6 months, although there are a couple shows I'd like to see (lost, the CSI's) but the only true essential is Chiefs football. But I think I can at least listen if I have the internet. I may have to be up at 2 AM Monday morning to do so, but I will!
Sep 4, 2006 11:20
  • APAULT
Hi Sonicman

Sure u can live on the pay, but it is beneath the going rate. Y4000 is the basic rate for a person with a Bachelors only. If you have teaching certificates or higher quals it should increase to say Y5,500 for a doctorate... yeah they assume higher academic quals mean a betetr teacher!

The standard package is own personal furnished accommodation with Y200 per month utilities allowance, a return airfare for 12 months, and often a Y2000 per year as a travel allowance on completeion of 1 year and a pc with broadband. Of course you may negotiate better, or accept less than that.

TV is not great, in Shenyang there is at le3ast one sports channel, ... you might get the Chiefs game, but you will have to get a freind to check the programme schedules. There is also CCTV9 which is an official English Language channel. Good for getting to grips with Chinese politics, business and culture.

As you say, an exciting oportunity..I enjoy it, but there are MANY frustrations.

Quite separately from all the above which I stand by as objective, where I teach in Guangdong is recruiting teachers experienced in all years to 18yrs old ...a similar package with pay at Y6000 p month (cost of living in this small city are similar to Shenyang). Disadvantages: it is tropical, there is a beach nearby, you can eat and drink at paveside bbq mini restauarants to midnight, the air is not as polluted, and we teach a few more classes than you would in a college. Msg me if you are interested!

(I hope this last bit isn't seen as a "naked advertisement"... I get no financial reward...I just won't have to work so many hours if we get our staff numbers up!)
Sep 4, 2006 20:16
  • CALIFORNIA
We usually can watch the final games of US football!
Sep 5, 2006 06:24
  • SONICMAN
Thank you, Apault. I may be interested, I would like to wait until after the new year to leave, so if there was an opportunity to teach where you are at that would fit that time-frame, I would strongly consider it. My e-mail is gmail.com|freelancetom if you wanted to forward any information on to me. Shenyang makes me a bit nervous; I am from Kansas, and the population of Shenyang is over 3x that of my home state. The biggest advantage is that the university has a close relationship with my alma mater, FHSU.
Sep 5, 2006 07:23
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Sonicman, Why be nervous about Shenyang. All Chinese cities even small ones are bigger than most of us are used to. I've come from a coastal holiday resort to one of the biggest cities in the country (scary) but I've grown to love it.

Your salary package is on a par with Universities in smaller cities and your work load will be reflected in that as well. You can most certainly live and travel on that and may even get more hours but not so likely in a University. Middle school and private companies sometimes pay better but don't always give you a good deal in other repsects.

Shenyang will be cold in the winter, lots of snow in comparison to somewhere like Guangdong. Broadband is available and you may have to wach the game online if you know when it is going to air. If you are posting on Geocities you won't be able to access it in China but yahoo, hotmail and gmail are all ok but sometimes experience problems but nothing major. Messaging is a goo option instead of phoning but you can get phone cards that offer pretty cheap rates too.

Why is being near the beach a disadvantage in Guangdong - is that because it's not so nice to swim there????

Sep 20, 2006 10:51
  • FANKAIRONG
hello,i am a Shenyangest.(沈阳人)first,welcome to shenyang,i wana tell you all you think is worry unnecessarily.(i hope you can know what i say,my english is not good)
1、the average cost a month is only 500 (exclude house), so you will live very comfortable.
2、you can email me at "gmail.com|fankairong" ,so you know the internet censorship issues.
3、the football game tv,i think you can watch it on internet .
4、IM ,you can use msn\yahoo ,may be you will like a chinese IM--QQ .The more is you will make a lot of friends in China.
When necessary ,you can email gmail.com|fankairong
,i am glad to help you!
Jul 19, 2007 00:09
  • LONESOMEDOVE
I am in the same boat as you. I was recently offered a job at Shenyang Engineering Institute through the LUDGE (Liaoning Union of Degree and Graduate Education) program and have about a million questions about everything. Any advice about LUDGE or Shenyang Engineering Institute?
Jul 19, 2007 19:54
  • APAULT
Lonesome: see my post in Expats forum on what teachers might earn. It seems Jabarootoo and I have a different view on this.

Generally, you have to strike a balance between standing up for what you think you sshould have in the way of facilities and what the contract says etc with a need to compromise for different conditions in China. One issue is that employers are inclined to see contracts as a one sided arrangement! For example, there is often a 2 month trial period where they can dispense with your services if they say ytou are not up to standard, but no option for you to do the same. In reality you can just walk out after you are paid as there is little they can do.

Do not expect a very high standard of English in a college like that, but I reckon that makes the teaching easier.
Jul 20, 2007 11:23
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Paul,
The University in question is a 'Normal' University ,all notorious for not offering good salaries. They often engage Peace Corpse volunteers and others from organisations whose members raise extra finance to help support them for the duration. In large cities and other industrial, economic centres of course the Universities offer a better salary to suitably qualified teachers.

I hope this sorts out our apparent difference of opinion.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: May be teaching in Shenyang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code