Menu
Armchair Travellers
Sep 9, 2006 22:09
  • DREAMCATCHER
With the Internet easily available, many people have become armchair travellers. You can see the world right here in your home at the click of a mouse.

Don't you think the Internet is a wonderful thing. They link you to the world in the comfort of your armchair.

Do we really need to travel to see those fascinating places physically?

Sep 9, 2006 23:39
  • PINETREE
Lucky to have an armchair to sit on infront of your pc. I sit only on a stool - sometime standing !
Seriously, I still think that to be there in person is very different from what u see on the net or in pics. The pics/videos we see are normally taken by professionals at the right moment in time - and probably with some touchups. They tend to look prettier but less real. But the most critical difference is that the feeling is not there when looking at the photos or videos.
It is just like watching a live soccer match on TV and at the stadium itself. I prefer to be there in person - despite the difficulty, sometimes & the costs. I also like to watch other co-travellers/ visitors from all over the world.
Sep 11, 2006 02:09
  • GERALDINE
Experience is the thing- to see what others have done is never the same as having done it yourself- to have experienced the feeling, the moment and the place is priceless. You can never relay that over a TV screen or through a magazine, to go and do it yourself attaches memory and emotion that no matter how good the photo or film can not be transferred to another. The sights, the sounds, the smells and the emotion are the important things.
Sep 11, 2006 06:23
  • LEMONCACTUS
Agree with Pinetree... IF only I had an armchair in front of my pc ;)

Armchair travelling is a great thing, especially for those who love travel but have some reason not to be able to go there themselves.

For me though, like Geraldine, it is being there in person that makes travelling really special. The individual experience, the unknown, the surprises that lie around the corner...

Of course, the best travel writers can evoke a superb sense of place and make you feel as though you have been there... this is the next best thing :)
Sep 12, 2006 03:19
  • CONNY129
Internet brought so much convenience , I'm quite happy to see your pics and reviews about travel , it gave me some inspiration to think about where I should go and what to see ,what to do , but it is just a step to prepare my journey , it can't give me the whole feeling that travel bought to me ,it is just like you told me the moon is round ,if I do not look at myself ,I will never know how round it is ^_^
Post a Reply to: Armchair Travellers
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code