Menu
Walkin cutomers, bargaining at hotels counter for room rates
Sep 17, 2006 20:33
  • FOOTLOOSE
In China can one bargain for room rates as a walkin customer
Sep 17, 2006 23:02
  • BETWEENUS21
yes definitley u should bargain for lower rates as walk-in rates are "published" rates which some can be as high as double the discounted esp for 4 n 5 star hotels. Its best to have an idea of how much the hotels are charging and this is better done through the travel agencies and hotel koisks when arriving at the airport or from the train stations. Its best of course u book with a local agency in advance or through the local travel agencies in the internet - but never ever from overseas online agencies (US, Europe) as have seen how ridiculously high their prices are altho they claim its the "lowest".
Sep 17, 2006 23:09
  • GERALDINE
Hi
Lonely Planet Guide for China gives you a good idea of what you should be paying for budget-med-high rate hotels. Great book to have on your travels!!
Sep 17, 2006 23:21
  • TEKNOMED
In China as in most parts of Asia, you can almost always get a discount if you ask for it. It is good if you can get a price reference before you arrive at your destination. As Garaldine stated the Lonely Planet gives you a good idea of price you should pay.
Sep 18, 2006 04:04
  • GERALDINE
Sorry betweenus21 I totally disagree - just looked at the ctrip site and plugged in a few sample places and the rates are alot higher than we paid and than LP recommends as acceptable. Maybe better prices for the high rate hotels but certainly there are many mid to budget range hotels that are very good and they don't even feature on this site. We travelled extensively and never paid more than 90rmb per night for very good rooms. Can't find any like that on this site so sorry I don't agree at all.
Sep 18, 2006 11:36
  • JABAROOTOO
Bargaining leverage would depend on many factors

Firstly will they take a foreigner?
Location, convenience and condition of hotel
Demand in high/low seasons
Competition (how many other to choose from
Your budget and your time
Special Events

All these influence what you can expect in way of discounts but I have seldom had much trouble finding somewhere and getting a discount, sometimes up to 40/50% but remember there are many that are a good deal anyway and will not budge on price and not worth your while to bargain.

Example
Lanzhou Y98 for three share, western style bathroom, no a/c but did not need it, quiet, everthing worked, opposite the train station and close to bus.

Couldn't do better than that and they certainly would not discount.

I've paid more for plusher places but this was great value.
Sep 18, 2006 20:19
  • FOOTLOOSE
Dear Geraldine,

Thanks for the nice and most authentic advice. Please be kiind enough to indicate as to how I should locate some hotels of a similar kind. Would also appreciate your personal expeiences a little more in detail

MM Sethi
Sep 18, 2006 20:20
  • FOOTLOOSE
Dear Geraldine,

Thanks for the nice and most authentic advice. Please be kiind enough to indicate as to how I should locate some hotels of a similar kind. Would also appreciate your personal expeiences a little more in detail

MM Sethi

Pls reply at

rediffmail.com|manmohansethi
Post a Reply to: Walkin cutomers, bargaining at hotels counter for room rates
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code