Menu
Family visit to Xian- free & easy
Oct 5, 2006 04:34
  • LYNNLENG
Hi,
We plan to visit China on 25th November, starting from Beijing-->Harbin-->Beijing-->Xian
--> Shanghai. We have about 14days.
May I know if it is possible to visit China and do travelling on our own. We speak Mandarin as we are Chinese from S'pore. However we have 3 children aged 4, 8 & 10 in tow.
Wonder how's the public transport there. Is it convenient? Can we hop onto a bus and visit a destination or do we have to get the agents to do the booking.
We are prepared to take a sleeper train from Beijing to Xian then to Shanghai. It's an experience not to be missed. How's the cleanliness on the soft seat train or the sleeper train. Heard a lot about spitting. Will we be sleeping in spits????
I have heard a lot about getting tour guides, but we have never travelled anywhere with guides before, and feel rather restrictive having somebody tagging along. (We've been USA, Korea, M'sia, Indonesia & HK with internet hotel bookings only. Can we do that in China????)
Then the other issue is with the weather. How's the weather at these places mentioned above. Are they very cold?
Wonder if anybody out there can help. By the way, is there any trustworthy guidebook? I want to do my research b4 embarking on the journey. Thanks for your patience with my long long post. Thanks!!!
Oct 5, 2006 08:06
  • JABAROOTOO
Lucky you,
If you speak Mandarin and are not in the habit of using guides or agents then why start now.
Rail travel in China, especially soft sleeper is very clean and comfortable. In fact with your family you should buy all four berths and you have a cabin to yourselves - only have to go out to the wash room.
You can jump on public transport to go almost anywhere with ease. While it is not quite to the standards of Hongkong and Singapore is is pretty comfortable.

You can travel wherever you like without anyones assistance but if you need it you only have to aks.

Have a great trip
Oct 8, 2006 04:48
  • GERALDINE
We did self travel through these areas and we did not speak the language- we didn't have any trouble with getting around or with seeing everything that we wanted to see using public transport and taxis. Go for it and have a great time.
Oct 8, 2006 21:41
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Lynn,

Here is my answers:

1.May I know if it is possible to visit China and do travelling on our own. We speak Mandarin as we are Chinese from S'pore. However we have 3 children aged 4, 8 & 10 in tow.
Wonder how's the public transport there. Is it convenient?

Yes!It's convenient if you can speak manderin.

2.Can we hop onto a bus and visit a destination or do we have to get the agents to do the booking.

As usual,you don't need to book by any agents,you can buy it in the station easily.

3.We are prepared to take a sleeper train from Beijing to Xian then to Shanghai. It's an experience not to be missed. How's the cleanliness on the soft seat train or the sleeper train. Heard a lot about spitting. Will we be sleeping in spits????

Haha,sleeping in spits???No!The sleeper is clean,especially the soft sleeper!Maybe you can hear snore if you are in the hard sleeper.

5.I have heard a lot about getting tour guides, but we have never travelled anywhere with guides before, and feel rather restrictive having somebody tagging along. (We've been USA, Korea, M'sia, Indonesia & HK with internet hotel bookings only. Can we do that in China????)

You don't need a guide,I think!

6.Then the other issue is with the weather. How's the weather at these places mentioned above. Are they very cold?

It's cold in Beijing and Xi'an,and not cold in Shanghai.

7.Wonder if anybody out there can help. By the way, is there any trustworthy guidebook?

I agree with LC.

Good luck!Welcome to China!
Nov 5, 2006 08:47
  • FINIU
Hi,
There is 48Km from the Airport to the Xian city,you can choose the shuttle bus or taxi,the shuttle bus directly go to the city,25 per head.The taxi is about RMB150 but more comfortble.

There is also about 50Km from the city to the terra cotta.This tour named Eastern line tour.Including terra cotta,Hot Spring,The Qin's tomb, etc.You don't need to join the tour,i think.But the guide is useful.I think you'd better book a private car,for you are a family,is easy and convinent.and also cost not much.

Of course you can do internet hotel bookings in Xian.There are many good hotels in the center.

Best regards
Jan 5, 2007 05:44
  • JEFFYANG
My dear friends
it's great pity that i didn't offer my uesful information to you for xi'an
i can offer you the help.
anyway,i wish you have god luck in your trip!
Jeff
Post a Reply to: Family visit to Xian- free & easy
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code