Menu
Train travel question: hard seat, soft seat, hard sleep, soft sleep
Oct 20, 2006 22:40
  • GRIZ326
With a 6 hour trip a sleeper seems unnecessary, but when you go to a 26 hour trip...

Would you choose a hard sleeper, soft sleeper, or a soft seat.....???

And do you have a place to sit if you have a sleeper?
Oct 21, 2006 00:45
  • CATHERINE
I'll choose soft sleep for a 26-hour trip to guarantee a better rest. While for a 6 hours trip, if it's during daytime, I'll choose soft seat, and sleeper during the nighttime.

There are some simple seats in the hard sleeper carriage.
Oct 21, 2006 06:23
  • LEMONCACTUS
I'd always choose a hard sleeper for a long journey. Comfortable and good value for money and unless you're very unlucky, you'll get a good night's sleep.

Any journey you can do in a day, you don't really need a sleeper. Even if you wanted one you might find it isn't available.

In my opinion soft sleepers are overpriced. I've only used one once and that was because I had no other choice. I have no complaints, but I have no complaints about the hard sleeper either and it's hugely cheaper.

As far as I can tell, the beds are exactly the same, the only difference is there's only 4 in a soft sleeper and you have a door to your compartment. Luggage space is awkward to access too.

See a wonderful website: www.seat61.com and go to 'China' for a really good description of all the types of carriage avaiable. Be aware that 'soft seats' are rarely available as an option (in my experience).
Oct 21, 2006 10:27
  • MISHEN
If you're travelling alone, I'd go hard sleeper for an overnight - if you can't sleep on them, you probably won't be able to sleep on the soft bed either.

If you're taking family or a significant other, soft sleeper is better - try travelling on the cheap with family around and it's so much easier to get frustrated and break into arguments.

To travel for the sport of it, stick with the cheaper, realer, less mediated experiences. With travelling for a holiday - reward yourself.
Oct 21, 2006 10:42
  • GRIZ326
What a great site, LemonCactus, thank you...
Post a Reply to: Train travel question: hard seat, soft seat, hard sleep, soft sleep
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code