Menu
what do you usually eat?
Feb 5, 2007 20:28
  • CHYNAGYRL
This question is for expats living in China. What do you eat? Are there any vegetarians here ? What do you eat?

I hear a lot of scary stuff about Chinese food (ie the pesticides/ DDT /heavy metals in the water). What can you do about it to protect yourself (if anything).

Does anyone here have their own garden?
Feb 5, 2007 21:15
  • CALIFORNIA
You can eat everything you like:-)Of course,there are vegetarians in here.

Cheating~~~~~~

Most farmers has their own gardens.
Feb 5, 2007 23:25
  • ROGERINCA
Dear chynagyrl, I will answer your question posed to me in my other thread, as best I can :) I am not an expert and I am not a scientist; however, I do read a lot and I am educated !! LOL
But, I did sleep at a 'Holiday Inn Express', last month !! (American advertising joke don't even try to understand it !! ) :) :)

Don't always believe all that you hear !! With respect to the specific issue you mentioned, in my other thread, I doubt if this is a mainstream practice in China. I have heard of this in some [other] cultures and there is some superstition attached to it. Most Chinese people I know, like to eat the same things most non-Chinese people like to eat....Chicken, Pork, Lamb, Beef, Fish and other Seafood, Duck, and sometimes Rabbit, (same in America) and a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. None of my Chinese friends eat anything out of the ordinary !!!

With respect to your questions here: I don't care where you are on this Earth..... China, the USA or Canada, it is a good practice to always wash fruits and vegetables prior to eating them !! As you know, even with all the precautions with food here in America, there was still a problem with contaminated spinach in some California farms earlier in the year. It you wash the product before consumption, you can remove most, if not all, contaminants remaining from the production of the food in the fields. Moreover, personal cleanliness when handling food; as well as, food preparation surface area cleanliness, is also critical to good health with respect to bacterial contamination such as e-coli.

Heavy metals in water, by their very nature, do not enter the fruits and veggies, as the root system is a natural filter during the process of osmosis for [most] of these contaminants. Fish is another story, and it is not only a problem in China, it is a world-wide issue, due to contamination of the worlds oceans and waterways. There are warning signs in the meat/fish sections of all American supermarkets, which have cautions about eating too much of a certain species of fish and at certain times of the year. Again, common sense and 'moderation' should always prevail. Having said that, I am not going to stop eating fish any time soon !! LOL :)

Last, in all my visits to China, I have never become sick, for even one day, during my stay !! Also, I have never become ill eating any food in China !! I always eat a variety of meat, fish, poultry, and fruits and veggies !!! I love bok choy, and I love the red dragon fruit very much in China !! Hope this helps !! Best wishes :)

Feb 6, 2007 08:39
  • APAULT
My experiences are quite different from Rogerinca, I suffered many stomach upsets. It is often said travellers should avoid the roadside stalls, but I doubt there is much to choose between the hygene standards of restaurants and stalls. Quite simply, compared with what we westerners are used to, hygene standards are lower. It becomes OUR problem because our obsession with hygene means we are becoming weak and we don't have the antibodies to fight it.

I agree 100% about pesticides and heavy metals. Wash the fruit and veggies and don't eat too many fish... most river water is polluted. The trouble with many private gardens is that they are often right by the road or on industrial waste land...:(

What do I eat? Anything I can buy in the market, in food stalls or in cheap to moderately priced restaurants. What I don't eat is Maccas, KFC, Pizzas etc... I prefer to stay healthy!

Feb 6, 2007 12:18
  • LIONPOWER
Macdonals too
Feb 6, 2007 14:18
  • ROGERINCA
Hello, lionpower

Now this is where I draw the line.....I must have my Big Mac !!! LOL

Which, by the way, is a lot cheaper in China, than in America ($1.30 China vs. $2.79) !! And the Chinese version actually looks better and tastes better than here !!

Feb 6, 2007 19:01
  • MAY001
I prefer KFC than MC. KFC has more vegetable. But I seldom go there now.

Another thing expat should know: Chinese people don't drink water directly from the tap. We have to boiled it. So if you come to China, buy bottle water.
Feb 7, 2007 01:07
  • CALIFORNIA
For me,KFC and MC both mean WC,haha:-)
Feb 8, 2007 02:22
  • ROGERINCA
OK Cali', here it is, all for you !!!!!!

Feb 8, 2007 08:37
  • APAULT
Ah, seems I used Aussie slang. Maccas is MacDonalds. Drink water? WHAT? That's for washing in! As far as I am concerned water is not fit too drink unless it has been treated with hops and barley :)
Feb 8, 2007 09:21
  • LIONPOWER
Hello rogerinca,
Generally I did not eat out side except dry food & fruit. No need water (May 001 ?) because Chinese tea best of my choice. Macdonals when with friends. No problems, doing business with China since 1992.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: what do you usually eat?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code