Menu
Train Travel
Mar 5, 2007 04:05
  • CONNERS
Hi there,

I am planning on visiting china in the summer, and have worked out a nice route. However i just want to confirm a few things with train travel. I managed to find this great website: http://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/ which gives me very exact timetables & prices. However i would like to know whether these trains run each day and whether i can pre-book my seet/sleeper?

If not i dont mind just "turning" up at the new town/city and sorting out the next travel arangements when i get there. But it would be nice to pre-book, if it is possible anywhere...

I would be using trains from:

Guilin -> Nanning
Nanning -> Chengdu
Chengdu -> Xi'an
Xi'an -> Shanghai
Shanghai -> Beijing (Perhaps Trans Sib Express)

Beijing -> Moscow Trans Sib Express

any ideas?
Mar 5, 2007 21:03
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
So far as I know you can only buy tickets in the city of departure, i.e. if you're leaving from Beijing, you can only buy the ticket in Beijing; if you're leaving from Nanning, you can only buy your ticket in Nanning. However, you can (and should) buy your ticket in advance, and I think you should buy your ticket to your next destination as soon as you arrive, meaning the first thing you should do when you arrive in Nanning is buy your ticket to Chengdu. Tickets can normally be booked 10 days in advance, but that is usually shortened to 3 or 4 days during holiday periods. You can, of course, try to buy tickets through travel agents, and you may be able to 'book' a ticket that way, but that booking means you've arranged for the agent to buy your ticket when that ticket goes on sale. I don't recommend this method, unless of course you know a trustworthy agent. Anyway, it's easy enough to buy the ticket yourself direct from the railway station.
Mar 6, 2007 05:52
  • JEFFYANG
please ask me free ,if you have any questions for xi'an
163.com|zyq981125
Jeff
Mar 6, 2007 11:45
  • ELLYSE
You can usually only buy tickets in the city that you're taking them from.
Do NOT use online companies as these charge you an arm and a leg for the "privilege". If you're going to pay so much money you might as well fly and get there faster instead.
Note that from personal experience it's very difficult to get a decent Xi'an -- Shanghai ticket.
I'll volunteer to help with the Shanghai -- Beijing ticket if you need. However the TransSiberian Express only starts in Beijing, not Shanghai, so it won't be the TransSiberian Express.
Contact Richard Tian at public3.bta.net.cn|richards for help with the ticket out from Beijing. You won't be able to buy it at short notice as it's very popular and sells out early.
The TransSiberian does not run daily. All the others do.
Mar 6, 2007 21:25
  • ADAMMER
you can use this website for exactly
www.njstation.com
Mar 11, 2007 18:11
  • PUBLIUS
Chris's suggestion seems to be the best: just buy your departure ticket when you arrive at a new city. The worst that can happen is that you get a hard seat or have to wait one day.
Mar 11, 2007 23:05
  • ROGERINCA
Don't forget, right here at the TCG site, you can click on the Airplane icon in the upper right corner of the web page, then click on the rail travel icon on the lower left of the next page. There used to be (last year) a Train icon next to the Airplane here; however, the train left the station here late one night and it has never returned !!??

I know this for a fact; I was up late here the night it left the station here and I watched it disappear !! :)
Post a Reply to: Train Travel
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code