Menu
Multiple Destinations, so little time!
Apr 6, 2007 22:06
  • MARIO5
Hey all, new to the forum and so far it is great!! So much information!

Here is my question:
2 freinds and I will be going to China in Mid-end July (i know, bad timing right?? lol).

This is what we are facing. Advice on where to go and how to do it would be great!

Time frame: 2 weeks + mabey a few other days..mabey. :)

We are planning on Flying from Canada (MTL) to Beijing. We have to end up in Guangzhou (a friend lives there that we will be meeting up with) and we would like to stop in shanghai and Hong Kong. We also would like a little beach time in Haikou (apparently amazing for the beach/relaxing time).

But we only have about 2 weeks and we would love to do this. We would probably take off from Hong Kong to go back to MTL (seems to be possible and doesn't cost much more if you stay with the same airline..example: Air Canada).

what do you recommend, what should we stop and see along the way (guessing we will be doing alot of train riding :) ).

Recommendations?

Thanks,

Mario.
Apr 7, 2007 04:20
  • ANTHEA
First, I don't think July is a good time to visit Haikou, must be too hot there.

My suggestion for you would be like this: Beijing (3-4days)---Xian (2-3days, by overnight train)---Guilin (flight, 2-3days)---Shanghai(2 days)--Guangzhou---Hong Kong.

Or you can substitute Guilin with Yangtze River Cruise, while this seems to be a rather tight itinerary.
Apr 7, 2007 15:21
  • APAULT
Seems you are trying to do too much in the time. China and Canada are similar in size - would you recommend I tried to do that much in Canada in 2 weeks? Why not leave out Haikou? It is an attractive city, but there are better beaches and facilities elsewhere.
Apr 7, 2007 22:03
  • GRIZ326
Time will fly by very quickly. I can say that with authority, but I have no other authoritative suggestions. At this moment, I am struggling to trim my own ambitious itinerary to something realistic for a 3 week trip this summer. You may enjoy yourself more if you pick one or two locations that fascinate you and take your time exploring them rather than trying to be a superman leaping tall pagodas in a single bound. ;)
Apr 8, 2007 05:17
  • COLAIDO
the best way to know china is stay in one place for 1-6 month. chinese culture is deep and need time to feel.
i segust try the XXdays tour to china, that's meanless.
Apr 8, 2007 10:29
  • MARIO5
Wow, thank you all for so much feedback :)

As for the Superman time frame..yes, I agree its alot. If there are better beaches than Haikou and they are closer to where we are going to be..that would be great!! Suggestions would be appreciated.

As for the rest, we don't really know what to do. We have our friend that lives in Guangzhou, and he is the main reason why we are taking the trip. But in another look, how can we *not* go see the great wall (which is best viewed from Beijing right?)? I know it sounds like a really tight trip... we are looking at all the possibilities at the moment. We want at least 1-2 days at a beach, we want to go see the great wall and we need to go to Guangzhou. So with that criteria, do you suggest other sights to see?

zhangwei198245 we have noted your e-mail and will get in touch..do you have any referals? :)

Anthia: Would you have an idea of how much a flight form Xian to Guilin would cost? Thank you for the recommendations on what locations to visit and how to get there btw:)

Thank you all for the time you are taking to help guide us into making this a tiring but memorable trip :)

-Mario.
Apr 8, 2007 13:12
  • APAULT
Mario, China has many attractions, many things that you can only see and do in China. Those are its strong suits, not beaches. I believe you would be disappointed by Haikou beaches. From what I saw, even the beaches at the famed Sanya are likely to disappoint - for various reasons. (If you want beaches go to Australia, or even California).

To my Chinese friends, sorry to be critical of the beaches at those two cities, but that's the way I see it from an international perspective.
Apr 8, 2007 17:20
  • MARIO5
Apault: The beaches are are truly secondary:) Call it being overworked at home and somewhere hoping to just lie down and bathe... lol. We are not goign to China for the beaches..but it would have been nice to lie down on one for a day...just ot relax.. lol.

Thanks,

Mario.
Apr 8, 2007 20:33
  • MAY001
My suggestion;
Beijing (2 days)-overnight train-Xian (2 days)-overnight train-Shanghai(2 days)-fly-Guilin and Yangshuo(2 days)-overnight train-Guangzhou-(1 days)-Sanya/Haikou (2 days)-fly-Hong Kong(2 days).

This is the most basic route for a China tour. And you may omit Xian if you really don't have enough time.
Post a Reply to: Multiple Destinations, so little time!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code