Menu
Zengcheng People - Are you from Sun Gai Village?
Aug 29, 2007 16:09
  • DAVO
Hi, My father-in-law Chan Hong Yow came from a village called Sun Gai about an hour's drive outside Guangzhou (not sure in which direction). He followed his father Chan Miu Nam to NZ in 1938. They were at that time in Wellington and later Hong Yow moved to Waipawa, Clive and then Hastings.
I am hoping to go to Sun Gai in October - maybe if you send me the gravestone pics I can ask if the names come from there? (Assuming I can find the village).
Sep 18, 2007 00:16
GUEST19179 Try
Tung Jung Association of NZ Inc
33 Torrens Terrace,
PO Box 9058
Wellington
NEW ZEALAND

They will be able to help.
Nov 26, 2007 01:42
GUEST80196 I am a member of the Tung Jung association. I am also aware of the Sun Gai History. Just looking for some one who I can contact via email. Are your family still in Hastings area?
Nov 26, 2007 16:54
  • KIWIGENE
Hello,

I'm in Sydney, parents are in Hamilton, but we are all from Hastings originally. My grandafather Chan Hong Yow was originally from Sun Gai and came to NZ in 1938. Unfortunately he died in 1997 having never returned to his homeland. But we (children/grandchildren) have just visited there at the end of October. It was an amazing experience.

I'm looking for information regarding the specific location of the village. I'd like to know the coordinates to enter into Google Earth, or at least if someone knows the compass direction from Guangzhou? I got completely lost orientation-wise in the minbus trip. I'm also finding it difficult to find reference to Sun Tong, which I believe is the nearby town about the "swallow up" Sun Gai village.
Feb 14, 2008 02:17
GUEST25799 How was your trip back to China? Here is a map for you:

http://map.vbgood.com/China_province_map/guangdongmap.htm

also see if you can get onto this site

http://siyigenealogy.proboards28.com/index.cgi?board=names&action=display&thread=1202627255
Feb 15, 2008 18:50
  • APAULT
I live in Zengcheng and have been to Xintang. The trouble with so many names in this area and the ones quoted in the posts is that both the old spellings/Guangdong spellings are mixed up - including on Google Earth.

What are the outstanding requests for information? Is anyone still checking this thread? If so, msg me so that you are certain I will read the reply.... and I will try to find information for you.
Mar 2, 2008 16:46
GUEST43863 Have you had any luck with your Sun Gai inquiry. This is where my ancestors are from. I have loads of info on my Chan's from Sun Gai, some have just come back from a visit there. I too have a Hastings connection. I had trouble with the member log in so have just put this reply as a guest. Love to share info.
Jan 24, 2009 19:30
  • KIWICHINESE
Planning to be in Zingtang in June 2009. Visiting the villages that I have come to know. Will be checking into a hotel for 3 nights and walking around the place. How do you get Chinese money? Can you use NZ dollars to get RMB?
Jun 24, 2009 05:06
GUEST19752 Just come back from Sun Gaai - had a great 3 hour stay there - talking to people and visiting the area. The houses are old - but the Chi Tongs are still there - however - no names on the walls
Sep 22, 2009 05:10
GUEST14441 The village is being leveled and will become part of a new super city. A pity there is going to be a lot of changes in the area
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Zengcheng People - Are you from Sun Gai Village?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code