Menu
Xinjiang, exotic Xinjiang...
May 2, 2007 11:02
  • FAERIEQUEENE
During these ‘envious’ may holidays, i am starting to prepare in my spare time the next travel… to Xinjiang possibly and hopefully to be happened in the next few months.

Yesterday I went to Shenzhen bookmall and bought some very good travel literature in chinese and I’m reading them along with a french guide book I have and other materials from the internet, I found very confused about the names of the places especially in north xinjiang, unfamiliar and exotic to me… as i have to spend time matching the chinese and western names (most of them not pinyin)…

Is there a bilingual map of Xinjiang online or better still any bilingual list of places in Xinjiang?

Also might not be able to cover different parts of the province, any advice as to routes, what are the most attractive in the province... is much appreciated. Hoping there are still people around this week... ^__^

May 2, 2007 18:33
  • GRIZ326
Here are some maps to hold you over until the locals return from the holidays.

http://www.johomaps.com/as/china/xinjiang/xinjiang1.html
http://www.silkroadcn.com/xinjiang/xinjiang_relief_map.htm
http://www.maps-of-china.com/xinjiang-s-ow.shtml

:)
May 3, 2007 05:41
  • FAERIEQUEENE
: )
May 6, 2007 12:53
  • JABAROOTOO
When and how long do you plan on spending in Xinjiang? There are a few travel reviews you can read up on and then decide on one or two spots that really take your interest. It's a huge province with loads of interesting natural and historic features so your schedule will probably dictate how much you can see in one visit but it's certainly worth the time and the effort.

Urumqi is a good place to start and make a couple of side trips to the heavenly lake and Turpan would be my suggestion one of the places not to miss.
May 7, 2007 04:50
  • FAERIEQUEENE
I plan to spend 15 days in Summer between 1 June and 1 Sept. I so love to travel slowly but i have so many places in china on my wishlist for the few years to come that i.desire to make the most in a trip to this province.

From my reading, I gather there are 3 routes that are equally interesting!!

1. To continue the china part of the ‘Silk Road’, to experience the Marco Polo route, (Urumqi +excursion Tianshan Heavenly Lake, Turfan, Kashgar, and further?)

2. North Xinjiang is all nature and is very attractive to me. But from people's travel pictures the places seem quite deserted. Shall we meet no one?? (from my preliminary research already a few fascinating places :to start from Urumqi, Ili, Altai, Karamai, Buerjin, Hemu, Hanasi etc…)

3. Southern Xinjiang seems to have ethnic people and culture, bazaars etc to offer (from Urumqi, the Taklamakan desert, Kuche, Kashgar and further?)

Really can't quite decide which direction and then which particular places and details to work out...

What are the best, not to miss there??? Please enlighten mE!!
May 7, 2007 20:10
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
Hemu, Hanasi. Yes, wonderful place! You should not miss them. Plus, Xinjiang is the largest province of China with less convenient transportation. So be prepared to the coming problems.
May 10, 2007 09:09
  • FAERIEQUEENE
thanks everyone for the info and advice :)
May 11, 2007 05:33
  • ANDYCHAN
im in xingjiang hami right now,im gonna spend a mouth in xingjiang,if you just nearby,we can make a companion.email me
hotmail.com|andychan_dublin
May 11, 2007 07:08
  • ANTONIVAN
in 15 days you can visit many places in xinjiang. last year I was guide for a Singaporian group which is composed of 9 tourists. it was about 15 days of tour. we flew to Khotan from Urumqi then started our really tour from Khotan city (most southern edge of the Taklimakn Desert), after spent a night in Khotan we further continued to Yarkent with bus, then Kashgar , two nights in Kashgar then went to Karakol Lake and did a Trekking around the MuztaghaAta mountain for 3 days, then back to kasghar take a train to Turpan stayed 2 nights there then we went Karamay ,from there to Kanas Lake , we ended this tour at Urumqi after come back from Kanas Lake, all the itinerary took 15 days.
in this tour, tourists visited most highlights of northern xinjiang and southern Xinjiang , I think it does fit your appetite.
otherwise we can revise to you another program fit your request.pls write to us at silkroute.cn|sales or hotmail.com|burkut1129. www.silkroute.cn
Jun 27, 2007 05:26
  • ELLYSE
I'm going to be in Xinjiang for about 20 days in July. My friend and I will be coming directly from Xining in Qinghai province via bus to South Silk Road.
Oct 22, 2007 13:21
GUESTTWESSIM... Good day!,

I'm just starting here. And it seems like a sweet forum.

I just wanted to give a friendly "how's it going" to all of you here.

:)

-Felix
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Xinjiang, exotic Xinjiang...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code