Menu
Dragon Boat Festival
Jun 18, 2007 00:47
  • VIOLET316
Hey,All,tomorrow is another Chinese traditional Festival called Dragon Boat Festival is celebrated on the fifth day of the fifth month of Chinese lunar calendar. we eat Zongzi(glutinous rice dumpling) and hold dragon boat race in centre of this Festival.it had a moved story.This festival commemorates the death of Qu Yuan,an honest minister who is said to have committed suicide by drowning himself in a river

And,because of their admiration for Qu-Yuan, the local people living adjacent to the Mi Lou River rushed into their boats to search for him while throwing rice into the waters to appease the river dragons.

Although they were unable to find Chu Yuan, their efforts are still commemorated today during the Dragon Boat Festival.
1,Dragon Boat races

At the center of this festival are the dragon boat races. Competing teams drive their colorful dragon boats forward to the rhythm of beating drums. These exciting races were inspired by the villager's valiant attempts to rescue Qu Yuan from the Mi Luo river. This tradition has remained unbroken for centuries.

2.Zongzi

A very popular dish during the Dragon Boat festival is Zongzi. This tasty dish consists of rice dumplings with meat, peanut, egg yolk, or other fillings wrapped in bamboo leaves. The tradition of Zongzi is meant to remind us of the village fishermen scattering rice across the water of the Mi Luo River in order to appease the river dragons so that they would not devour Qu Yuan.
There will be a dragon boat races hold Tomorrow at north end of canal in Beijing.not far from Tian`anmen Square(at east of Changan avenue called Gaobeidian,close to Old Furniture Street).
Hope everyone like it.
Jun 18, 2007 02:01
  • LEONARDO
Tasting "Zongzi" is a must in the Dragon Boat Festival. Its shape is like a pyramid. The rice is wrapped in the bamboo leaves.

Jun 18, 2007 02:04
  • LEONARDO
Dragon boat race, Hey, buddy,come on !!!

Jun 18, 2007 12:57
  • LIONPOWER
Boat race, very interesting to me.
Jun 19, 2007 05:29
  • KIWICHINESE
Oh - we had some Zongzi tonight . Yum... our dragon boat racing is in the summer in New Zealand, December/January.
Jun 19, 2007 11:45
  • APAULT
I went down to the local races... but the boats were so far away, and the shore was so crowded. But I enjoyed seeing the interest everybody took in it. There was no Zongzi on sale but I was lucky as some local women gave me some the day before. Yes very trasty...and very filling!
Jun 19, 2007 12:50
  • LIONPOWER
You are lucky one.
Jun 19, 2007 20:12
  • ZOEY
Zongzi is delicious. I like it. But I do not like those filled with meat.
Nov 15, 2007 09:37
GUESTD0LLY18 Im not chinese or anything like that but i love everything that has to do with the legend of Chu Yaun i think that is really nice that they make that festival for him when ever i get to go out for vacations i will go down there to see the festival in person!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Reply to: Dragon Boat Festival
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code