Menu
Buying an Olympus E-410 in Beijing
Jun 30, 2007 06:08
  • STEVITO
I´m travelling to Beijing in August and would like to know if it is cheaper to buy an Olympus E-410 here in the UK or in China. If anybody can recommend any websites/shops so I can do a price comparison it would be great (though in english please!). The UK price is around 600 pounds sterling for the camera body and twin lens set at the moment.
Jun 30, 2007 14:58
  • DAVEC
I work in the photographic trade selling cameras, there are things you need to consider other than the price. If you get caught by customs expect to pay the tax and that might make it more expensive, secondly double check whatever you buy has worldwide warranty. I see at least 1 person a week who has purchased abroad and when it goes wrong the manufacturers in UK dont want to know.
Are you familiar with the camera or similar ones cos if not and you have a query tough luck, nobody is gonna want to help you if you buy it abroad.
Jun 30, 2007 20:37
  • FAERIEQUEENE
unless you change camera models and lenses very fast you can buy here and 'enjoy' the cheaper price
Jul 1, 2007 01:43
  • STEVITO
Ok but I was only interested in buying in a reputable camera store in Beijing. As for the taxes you take your chances...
Jul 1, 2007 23:02
  • APAULT
Even if reputable, what dave says about warranties still applies. So u have to consider teh savings against that risk.
Jul 1, 2007 23:07
  • TIFOSAY
Hi Stevito,
I'm from Singapore, it's a shoppers' paradise especially in electronic goods. If you happen to pass by my country, drop by and look around; you'll find the prices of digital cameras, computers and other electronic appliances much, much cheaper than most Asian countries.
Olympus DSLR E-410 is selling at S$1300 - about 450 pounds, with 2 memory cards ( 1GB + 2GB ) thrown in plus a Cleaning Kit at NO extra cost.This camera comes with 14 - 42 mm lens as standard item.
Although, the local govt.has increased the GST( or VAT) by 2%, now it's 7% but it does not affect you. As a tourist you can claim a GST refund when you leave the country.
By the way, I'm not a trader or anyone in the camera retail business. I'm a retired teacher who happens to love taking photos and surfing the net.
Good luck
Tien from Singapore.
Jul 1, 2007 23:07
  • CHYNAGYRL
Do yourself a favour, and don't buy a camera in China, unless it has an international warranty. I learned the hard way with my Nikon that it is too much trouble...
Jul 4, 2007 17:07
  • STEVITO
OK have taken heed of your advise and have now ordered here in the UK!! Thanks to all for your comments.
Post a Reply to: Buying an Olympus E-410 in Beijing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code