Menu
how much do foreign english teacher's usually make?
Jul 1, 2007 05:02
  • MONGOL
just curious, how much do foreign English teachers in china usually make. I know of course, "it depends" but can someone ball park it for me? like whats high , whats low? hourly/monthly, i know they are so many variables, like does it include benefits, teaching experience, education level, and whom your teaching, but if someone could ball park it for me, would be great.
Jul 1, 2007 22:38
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Mongol,

I can only comment on being a teacher at a UNIVERISTY.

I have earned between 4400rmb and 5000rmb per month at 2 different univsities. This is for a maximum of 16 hours teaching per week. Overtime is paid at a rate of 80-100rmb per hour. Private teaching can earn you about the same. I used to get 100rmb in the NE of China, but the rate here in the south is less, more like 80rmb.

This is more than enough to live on. Especially if the uni is paying your accommodation, bills and flights to and from China (most do).

In my case, my education and teaching qualifications have been important in getting me a slightly higher salary than the "average" foreign teacher at my uni, but as a rule I think the going rate for teachers at a uni is between 4000-5000. I have heard, of course, of uni teachers earning less than this and more than this.

Why don't you check out Daves ESL Cafe, tonnes of teaching jobs there with salaries and benefits listed.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/
Jul 1, 2007 22:55
  • CHYNAGYRL
The salaries at the international schools seem to match foreign salaries. For example, at the Maple Leaf International School in Dalian, the salary for an accredited teacher is the same as the teachers make in British Columbia, Canada. The salary starts at $42,000 CAD / yr with annual increases up to $72,000. Some international schools run by Koreans will hire teachers without a B.Ed. (and only a Bachelor's degree with maybe a CELTA) and they pay around 16,000 RMB a month incl. accomodtaion stipend (ie in Tianjin). The salaries really vary *widely*... The university jobs seem to be relaxed and have low hours, as long as the teachers don't mind the lower pay.
I would like to eventually go into corporate teaching -- they require a CELTA and I think the pay is similar to the salary for the same position in a Western country.
Jul 18, 2007 22:36
  • LYNN19
The international schools do want a lot of stateside contract teaching experience however and lots of competition for those jobs.

I have a question - ok I know the cost of living is low so living on that pay is easy - and even can save - especially if you tutor on the sied.

Ok is tutoring and or multiple job allowed? Is it legal?

Question 2 - plane fare back to the states or where ever - how do you afford those on a pay of 500 to 700 USD a month? A round trip ticke isa
about 1400 USD and then you have other expenses as well when you go to the states. So even a 1 time a year or every 2 years is a
major expense - and those tickets will get really expensive next summer during the Olympics.
Jul 19, 2007 05:49
  • APAULT
Lynn. All jobs should come with accommodation, usually a one or two bedroom apartment (tho I am currently in a large bedsitter) plus small kitchen and bathroom. many pay your utilities but not all. You normally receive from 7000 to 8000 rmb for return airfares for a 10 month contract (make sure you clarify whether you must have ticket receipts as you don't always want to travel directly to and from home). Many offer 1000 or 2000 personal travel allowance on a full year. Some places reduce your pay in the spring holiday.

In the government system the pay is based on academic qualifications, typically 4000 for a BA, 5000 for an MA and 5500 for a doctorate. These will be higher in the more expensive cities (Gunagzhou 6000 to 8000). Many make no allowance for experience or teaching qualifications.

I especially wanted to teach in a certain city and was offered a job in a uni there. But the pay was much less than I was getting 2 years earlier in a lower cost province. I had assumed they would offer me a top of the range salary like I was paid in my first uni. They upped the pay marginally but it was still short of what I earnt before and we have had 3% pa inflation since then. The first uni had graded me at the doctorate level but the new one wouldn't. It seems that the privately run schools and colleges have more flexibility in this. So, I voted with my feet and went elsewhere... to another privately run college.

So my suggestion is be prepared to negotiate. It is a new expereince for many employers to encounter this, but in an environment where there is a shortage of teachers, why not!

Private language centres usually want more hours per week, I started in one than wanted 25 'hours'..(an hour is usually 45 minutes) and may contract you into schools and then expect you to recruit students into the after hours classes in the language centre. Most problems that teachers encounter here are with such institutions... though if you are inetersted in these look for the large ones based outside China.

To our Chinese teachers, you should try doing the same... the.eer is a shortage of teachers in some areas, and you are now in a mrket economy. Employers must learn they cannot have everything all their own way!!!
Jul 21, 2007 00:22
  • LYNN19
I am thinking I will use a recruiter my first year - since I am a newbie at this. Get a year in - know my way around and then get
more pay and better conditions. I keep looking at Daves and some other sites to learn - and there is a lot to learn. I am having
a hard time wrapping my mind around being able to live, save and travel on that kind of pay - though I am certainly not rich
at the moment in the states. But I keep thinking how much plane tickets and travel is - even if you do get that one free trip a
year. Then I read horror stories of people who haven't been paid and such.

I would sure like to know where those 16000 RMB a month jobs are! I have a feeling teachers stick to those jobs and never leave!

Anymore info you can give me will be great - this is all new to me. Thanks!
Jul 21, 2007 10:08
  • VALMINX
We leave on Tuesday to embark on our teaching experience in China! I know how you feel with so much information about and a lot of it conflicting. In the end i stayed away from forums like daves cafe as i found them very negative (we probably wouldn't have gone for it if we had read that last year lol) Any job in any country will always have plus and minus points. I will send you a few links which may help give you a better understanding of life out there.
We chose to go with some kind of agency but as yet i cannot comment on them, though so far they have been helpful and informative, we shall see when we get there lol Good luck in what you decide!
Jul 22, 2007 05:22
  • WCTMAN
A couple of things. First, a recruiter is a good idea, at least for the first time over. Everyone I know who went thru a recruiter has ended up with a real good job, and very nice accomodation. And, pay will be on time.

Concerning part time work: every teacher I know has one or more part time jobs. But, every contract i have ever seen indicates that part time jobs must not be undertaken without the knowledge and / or permission of the school. Just make sure that your p/t job does not interfere with your day job ie time wise. In general, nights are your own to do with as you please.
This year, I earned about 2000 rmb / month on the side; next year, with agreements already in place, I will earn about 5000 / month part time. There is lots of work here, and the longer you are here, the more contacts you make.
Good luck. China is a great place to work and live.
Oct 26, 2007 09:18
GUEST03115 how much to english teahcers in turkey make??????
Nov 1, 2007 20:43
GUEST28190 my son and his girlfriend left for China 3 weeks ago with a one year teaching contract. They have just been advised that they have to leave China by Nov. 11. What possible did they not do that they should have? Can you advise?
They are both in the Cdn.Reserves and took a leave of absense to teach in China. Neither of them have ever been in any trouble before. Need some help. Thanks
Nov 2, 2007 15:08
  • CHYNAGYRL
sorry. here is an amendment to my above statement... The Maple Leaf International School is the highest paying international school in Asia -- according to what a former teacher told me. So it's definitely above the average pay for ESl teachers. If you work for a high paying school though, it comes with some downsides. They expect to get their money's worth. If you break your leg or get really sick they might cut your pay until you resume regular duties. And if they dont like you or your opinions, then they can say bye bye at short notice.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: how much do foreign english teacher's usually make?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code