Menu
Sub Gum Style
Jul 31, 2007 16:58
  • SATCHELP
What is Sub Gum style Chinese cuisine?
Aug 1, 2007 04:46
  • EVENING
It is called Su Shi Jin (素什锦) in Chinese.

A kind of dish made of various vegetables including mushroom, carrots, green pepper, toufu, agaric and others. Different places have different matching and cooking ways. Usually no meat in it, so quite suitable for vegetarians.
Aug 1, 2007 11:26
  • SATCHELP
Evening - thank you so much for this helpful and fast reply. Your description is consistent with my childhood memories of eating Chinese food in Brooklyn, NY. I remember eating it in what was called "Chow Mein" with either Shrimp or Chicken and delicious fresh and colorful vegetables without MSG or thickeners.
I have not seen Sub Gum advertised anywhere since then. Are there restaurants in the Los Angeles area which serve or specialize in this style? How would I order it? Would I expect to find it if I went to China? How does "Chow Mein" translate in English (or Chinese)? So many questions prompted by your beautiful responses and photos. Sorry to be so wordy.
Thank You, Ed
Aug 3, 2007 15:12
  • DAVEC
chow mein is what the food is called in the west, chao mian I believe is the chinese name, just fried noodles
Aug 4, 2007 03:08
  • GRYOKAN
You normally don't find Sub Gum being advertised. It is not considered a "proper" dish in GD area !! These words are basically Cantonese ( & meaning mixture) and this dish is probably "popularised" by the Hongkongers for westerners.
Bon apetit !!
Aug 5, 2007 01:01
  • LIONPOWER
Yes, Evening, It's good for vegetarians.
Aug 5, 2007 03:42
  • EVENING
Hi Satchelp,

For your question:

Are there restaurants in the Los Angeles area which serve or specialize in this style? How would I order it?
------ I don't know for sure whethere there is restaurants in the Los Angeles cas I have not been there. But I think you can find it in China Town.

Would I expect to find it if I went to China?
------- Sure you can find it nearly everywhere of China. Different places have different styles.

How does "Chow Mein" translate in English (or Chinese)
-------- Davec is right. Chow Mein is the stiro-fried noodles, in Chinese it is 炒面. You can find it in most northern cities of China.

I will try to find some pictures of Chow Mein in China....

Sep 18, 2009 10:42
GUEST10496 what is beef lo mein?
Mar 17, 2012 18:25
GUESTPOOCHIE
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST10496

what is beef lo mein?

beef with lily flowers and some vegitabals with a little bit of chicken feet and some tofu with seasons and celary and peanuts
Post a Reply to: Sub Gum Style
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code