Menu
Are Chinese people confident?
Sep 4, 2007 02:15
  • LEONARDO
Recently, a Chinese newspaper opened a column discussing the confidence of Chinese people. A professor said that Chinese people are not as confident as foreigners. He states that based on his teaching career, he finds that Chinese students are lack of confidence. Why? Is it because Chinese students are not intelligent enough? In a class mixed with foreign students and Chinese students, seldom do the Chinese students put forward questions to challenge their professors, while the foreign do.

Behind this simple phenomenon is the influence of China’s 5,000 –year Hierarchy System. Do the Chinese Students always agree with their professors? Of course not. Why do they keep silent when they have dissents? The main reason is that China has a long tradition of hierarchical differences. The practice of being obedient to the authority has long been rooted in Chinese People’s mind. Chinese students are taught to be obedient and that their teachers are the authority and role models. Therefore, “no one dares disturb the sound of silence”. Chinese students are unconfident in face of their teachers (authority).
Sep 4, 2007 02:16
  • LEONARDO
In the western educational system, students are encouraged to think independently and to challenge their professors (authority). The practice of open discussion and debate prevailed in the western culture. From in-class debate to the debate in Congress and Presidential elections, America tried to foster every persons to good public speakers.

In a profound sense, the lack of confidence reflects the scarcity of “Sense of Equality” in Chinese people’s mind. The norms of feudal society have still exerted strong influence on Chinese ways of thinking. At school, students are supposed to be subject to teachers. At workplace, employees are supposed to be subject to their superiors. Actually, this practice has evolved into a stereotype. Almost 1.3 Chinese has become accustomed to this practice. The transformation takes time.
Sep 4, 2007 17:44
  • GRIZ326
Is it a lack of confidence or a display of caution?

When I was teaching computer networking and protocol analysis, my Chinese students, always asked the most insightful questions. All of the Chinese students I taught over the years were exceptional learners.

My guess is that the lessons of past history have made many Chinese people cautious before authority figures. ...and historically children are raised to be polite and respectful of their elders.
Sep 6, 2007 05:04
  • LEOPOLD219
GRIZ326 ,

"Is it a lack of confidence or a display of caution?"

It seems that you hold a very positive attitude toward this issue. I met several Chinese students who are quite unconfident. When they stand on the platform to give a public speech, their legs shivered,and their voices trembled.
Sep 6, 2007 05:32
  • YEMMIE
I think it is because Chinese students have enough sense to know that you must learn a little about a subject before you can have an intelligent discussion about it. So, they sit quietly while their professors teach them the fundamentals. Later, they ask very intelligent questions, and learn even more. In America, many, maybe most, but certainly not all students begin offering opinions the very first day about issues that they know nothing about. In my view, they often waste valuable time because they don't yet know enough to bring anything worthwhile to the discussion. Eventually, those that can control themselves enough, do learn a great deal, and they are able to contribute much. I believe that both societies would benefit greatly, by an approach to learning that is somewhere in between these two extremes. If one can learn a little about a subject first, then he/she can offer opinions and ask questions which will promote very fruitful discussion.
Sep 6, 2007 05:35
  • YEMMIE
Oh, one other thing. In recent years, Americans have scored very porrly on math tests, while Asians have scored much better. Interestingly, when asked, most Americans said they believed they knew a lot about math, while Asians said they did not think they knew very much.
Sep 6, 2007 22:18
  • LEOPOLD219
Quote:

"Oh, one other thing. In recent years, Americans have scored very poorly on math tests, while Asians have scored much better. Interestingly, when asked, most Americans said they believed they knew a lot about math, while Asians said they did not think they knew very much. "

Yemmie, this phenomenon makes me think that one of the characteristics of Chinese people. That is "courtesy". Well, sometimes, it can also be called 'reticence'. It is undeniable that Chinese students are more diligent and hardworking than other nationalities. So, they got a higher score than others. However, sometimes, being reticent is not good, and you will be overlooked. When I was a college student, my classmates usually said to me:you should show off yourself, otherwise, you would be ovelooked by our professors and peers. That's it.
Sep 7, 2007 18:12
  • GRIZ326
>>>I met several Chinese students who are quite unconfident. When they stand on the platform to give a public speech, their legs shivered,and their voices trembled.

My first adult job was as a radio announcer 40 years ago. I spoke on the radio, appeared in TV commercials, was a television weatherman, a broadcast newsman at the largest radio news operations in America, a stage magician, a close-up magician, a convention presenter...in fact, most of my adult life I have been called upon to teach, perform and give speeches.

If I were to give a speech before a large audience today - my legs would shiver and my voice would tremble for a moment.

The only time I am truly confident is when I am writing or am with friends.
Sep 10, 2007 07:26
  • TEKNOMED
Not only Chinese but the whole Asian society do not question their superiors esp their teachers or professors. They are there to learn and our culture demand that they listen. This gives them a disadvatage in their confidence level. It takes time but once expose to International influence we are starting to question those in authorities and to speak out more.
Sep 10, 2007 07:47
Griz, it seems your are a man of many talents.
Sep 10, 2007 19:35
  • CHYNAGYRL
A lot of students have complained to me about the problem (stemming from Confucianism) which you mentioned above. I see it as a real problem in Asian society. The people with power become hypocrites (because of unlimited power and status), and the younger people lack confidence in their abilities. The hierarchical age system encourages older people to "lord it" over younger people. I have seen bosses treat their employees really badly and professors treat their students with arrogance, and this really surprised me because it's not acceptable in a Western country. I like the Western system more because people of different ages can be good friends (putting aside status), and also Western teachers and bosses tend to be more respectful towards younger people. It doesn't matter how old or how young you are, you need to respect others as a human being.

The other thing is -- Americans in particular smile more than Chinese people. They have the big, broad smiles like they think everything will be ok. Chinese people do not smile as much, they are more reserved -- maybe because they have endured many hardships during their long history.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Are Chinese people confident?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code