Menu
tipping
Sep 10, 2007 16:00
  • LINZILEX
my daughter and I are going to china in October 2007. Ive read all kinds of stuff, and just found this forum. I understand to tip our guides and drivers on the tours we have booked, but do we tip in dollars or rbm, also do we do it daily or at the end of the tour as we are going to several different areas and will have different tour guides, some of the tours are two day overnight. what about taxi drivers. thanks linzi
Sep 10, 2007 16:30
Hi Linzi,

I do not think you will find the same expectation of tipping in China as you may in other western countries, and long may it remain so! I remember when I asked the teacher who was showing my wife and I around Hanzhou whether I should leave a tip at a restaurant we visited, her comment was that the staff would be pleasantly relieved not to be asked for a discount (not that the food was anything but good... just that the concept of tipping was alien).

If you have a wish to reward good service it maybe better to find some other means of acknowledgement (repeat custom or recommendation may go further). I am not an expert however, and you will undoubtedly get many other responses to your interesting thread.

Enjoy your trip.
Sep 10, 2007 18:48
  • ELLYSE
No tipping required.
Sep 10, 2007 19:48
  • BILLCAI
Hi Linzi,
You are most welcome to China, it is a good time to visit China in October, but actually you don't need to give tips, it is not required at most of the occasions. Since I am Chinese, so maybe I can give you some adivces, if you have any question, welcome to contact me, my e-mail address is: hotmail.com|caijun_Bill, I am willing to answer your questions as long as I know. I don't know weather Guangzhou is on your schedule, if you come to Guangzhou, I can be your guide here. But I should remind you that please don't come to Guangzhou from 15-30th beacuse the Canton Fair will be held, the hotel price will be double.
Wishing you have a great trip in China.
Bill
Sep 10, 2007 20:09
  • ELEMENT
Tipping is not required, but gratuities may improve service. Giving tips in China has now become very popular while traveling. I don't think whether it applies to other areas in China, while does in traveling. As I know, tips are the remain income of the guide and driver. Giving tips is a kind of recognition of their good service. The amount of the tip depends on your satisfaction of their service. If you are not satisfied with their service, do not tip them. Both Dollar and RMB are acceptable. Sometimes, tips can be some kind of little gifts, too...
Sep 10, 2007 20:56
  • LINZILEX
thanks everyone for your advice. we are really excited about this trip and count the days. I am so interested in seeing everything and especially trying the different foods. am thouroughly enjoying this forum, I think ive spend all evening reading through all the different areas. thanks again linzi
Sep 10, 2007 23:12
  • GRIZ326
I have tried to tip when someone above and beyond the call of duty...but no one has ever accepted my tip. In fact, I felt as if I might have in some way offended them. As much as I am inclined to tip - I no longer offer tips. However, there are always exceptions... I cannot identify the exceptions without my gal with me...but there are some very rare exceptions.
Post a Reply to: tipping
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code