Menu
China for Christmas and Hong Kong for new year!!! 2007!!!
Oct 3, 2007 07:58
  • 4NDY
Hi everyone, ive booked to go traveling to china for christmas ( Beijing / Xian etc) and then off to Hong Kong for new year!! All tips and info would be great as its my first time to china and Hong Kong!! Weather - type of clothes to take, money etc. do's and donts would be great too.
Thanks in anticipation of your replys.
Regards
4ndy
Oct 3, 2007 22:49
  • REDROSES
For Hong Kong --lightweight jacket/pants, mostly jeans, polo shirts and good walking shoes -- sneakers. I'm returning there again from US for both holidays. As for money I find the money changers give a better rate but shop around. ATM's are there, too. In Hong Kong, you can also explore Kowloon and WanChai via the Star Ferry. In Central HK, there is a beautiful Christmas display that is breathtaking. There is entertainment on weekends.

For Beijing (my first time there), I am told it is cold and to bring a down jacket -- even long underwear. Exchange rate is basically the same at all places (that's what the travel books say) -- even at the airport. That's something new because in other countries the airports' exchange rate is definitely not the best.

Oct 5, 2007 05:48
  • 4NDY
Thanks redroses for that given me some ideas.

Ive been told and read in a few places the great wall is great at in December time due to the lack of rain and tourists, but will snow and the real cold be a problem? Or is it a case of good walking shoes, a jumper and an all weather coat?

Regards 4ndy
Oct 5, 2007 13:09
GUEST01219 Yes, the Great Wall is great, but that it is also cold at that time. So make sure to take thicker coat. The weather in HongKong is opposite to Beijing. give you my contact information, yahoo.com|jennysun729 or add my skype accout: sunyongda729. I could give you more informations. I live in Beijing.
Oct 5, 2007 23:22
  • JABAROOTOO
I'll will be cold. Beijing is centrally heated but long johns and a down jacket or equivalent for the out doors are a necessity as will be good boots and warm socks for hiking the wall.
Oct 8, 2007 05:24
  • 4NDY
Thanks jenny sun and jabarootoo.
I take it Xian will be slightly warmer? As ive got flights for a few days visit down there?!?!
Will 2 full days be enough to get the most of the touristy bits in xian?
All the best
4ndy
Oct 12, 2007 12:47
  • ELLYSE
2 days for Xi'an is usually fine, yes.
Weather Underground historical weather data:
Beijing: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/54511.html
Xi'an: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/57036.html
Go by overnight train for Beijing -- Xi'an (and back), not flight!
Dec 12, 2008 09:11
GUEST27001 when does hong kong celebrate christmas???
Dec 13, 2008 20:35
  • ELLYSE
Eh... same day as it is all over the world, duh!
Dec 14, 2008 21:46
  • APAULT
Sorry Ellyse, but it is not the same worldwide. The Russian Orthodox church celebrates early January (5th comes to mind)
Dec 15, 2008 00:03
  • ELLYSE
I wouldn't really consider Russian Orthodox Church as the conventional form of Christianity, no offence intended.
Post a Reply to: China for Christmas and Hong Kong for new year!!! 2007!!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code