Menu
Sportsmanship is a thing of past?
Oct 16, 2007 21:52
  • LEONARDO
With the growth of professionalism, money has played an important role in sports events. Many amateur administrators who run international sports events often complain that sportsmanship is a thing of the past. They put the blame for everything wrong with sport on the growth of professionalism. Today, many athletes view running as work and expected to be paid for what they do. When the modern Olympic began, atheletes felt that it was sufficient reward for them to compete. Today, money is the only stimulus for many atheletes to compete. Playing for money or love?
Oct 25, 2007 20:25
  • JIMMYB
To my knowledge, professionalism in sports is good. Thanks to it, we have the chance to see many exciting games. Take football for example, those footballers try their best to play on the pitch to win the bonus. For them, they can make money. For the football fans, they could see high-level football matches. Of course, professionalism has some disadvantages. Cheatings in the games usually happen. Juventus is a good example.
Oct 26, 2007 02:26
  • LEONARDO
Jimmyb,

Your words remind me of the notorious scandal happened in the circle of Italian football. It was a shame that Juventus bought over the referees. In face of the desire for money caused by professionalism, 'sportsmanship' is becoming vulnerable and fragile. Olympic spirit has been left behind by numerous athletes and their coaches.

The moral of many players have declined. For instance, many NBA bad boys committed the immoral things: had their arms or chests tattooed, finding prostitutes, fighting.
Jul 27, 2018 22:37
GUESTUNICORN... Have you ever considered publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would enjoy your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.
Post a Reply to: Sportsmanship is a thing of past?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code