Menu
Would like to visit Beijing and Xian
Oct 23, 2007 16:57
guest72183 Does this travel plan make sense?
Arrive Beijing April 21, 2008. Explore local Beijing 22, 23, 24. Take train to Xian 25, 26, 27. Return to Beijing 28, 29, 30 and May 1 and 2 to experience May day! and depart Beijing May 3.

Other questions: 1. Can we rent bikes to ride to the Greatwall from downtown Beijing? 2. Is there local train or bus services to less visited sections of the Greatwall ? 3. Am I crazy for planning to be in Beijing for May 1st?
Oct 23, 2007 20:11
GUEST12356 Hi there... here's a website for you about beijing.

http://www.kinabaloo.com/beijing.html

I don't know why you would want to ride a bike to the wall, unless you are a fitness freak (not that there is anything wrong with that) because it's uphill all the way. There are lots of busses going there, for about 150 yuan (summer of 07) but local busses are about a sixth of that. And going by local busses avoids being taken to the other places the tourist busses always take you that are a drag... it's just an opportunity for the hustlers to try and sell you some trinkets and for the tour companies to get additional commissions.

If you speak to the people in the youth hostels, they will give you all the info you need about the various parts of the wall you can visit.

Train to xian overnight isn't too bad. You can see what you want there in a day or so. Think about going to Loyang to see the grottoes if you have time. It's pretty far out.
Oct 23, 2007 22:17
  • LAZYSNAIL
I think travelling on the 30th will be very very crowded....if you can get the ticket that is, or you get stranded in xian (which will be crowded on May 1 too anyway). so either way you will get to see A LOT of people. have fun moving with the crowd haha
Oct 23, 2007 23:02
  • ELLYSE
1) If you're talking about sheer possibility, I don't see why not -- no one cares about where you ride your rented bicycles to, just don't get them stolen. However if you're talking about feasibility, this is sheer madness, the Great Wall is too far from downtown Beijing to be reached on bicycles.
2) Do you mean just the sections around Beijing, or elsewhere in China? ;)
3) No, because if you are, then so would tons of other people.
Oct 30, 2007 02:15
  • BILLYBAXTER
You could cycle to the Great Wall ..approx 120km..or a little nearer for Badelling. You would need to rent for 4 days...2 days riding and 2 days at the wall...possible I suppose but you would need to find a high quality bike. There is a YHA at Simitai where you could stay and walk to Jinsheling ....one of the most amazing walks in China. Problem is you would have to walk back for your bike, (28km return). The Far Eastern YHA in Beijing do great bus tours to do the J-S walk...no shopping just walking and sitting on a bus...about 150rmb. Being a cyclist I wouldn't recommend cycling to the GW ....too tricky getting out of Beijing...it's the mother of all cities. God help the olympics.
Post a Reply to: Would like to visit Beijing and Xian
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code