Menu
Train toilet, buses from chongqing to fengdu and fengjie.
Nov 1, 2007 08:09
guest64645 I have 2 questions:

1. I am travelling with a person in a wheelchair, do the trains in China have western toilets? Does it vary by seat class or train type?

2. Does anyone know how to get from Chongquing to Fengdu, and then to Fengjie other than by river cruise. (bus or train?)

Thanks!
Nov 1, 2007 23:29
  • YINMEI
There is no western toilet on the train in China.

You can take a bus from Chongqing to Fengdu, and then to Fengjie only.

Cheers!
Nov 2, 2007 02:04
  • JABAROOTOO
There is a new motorway from Chongqing to Wanzhou which by-passes Fengdu. It is fast and comfortable trip (4hrs). While the road is being extended beyond Wanzhou I have no idea how it is but I doubt very good.

From Wanzhou the best and most popular and comfortable option is the Hydrofoil down river to all points east at least to Yichang.
To Fengjie it's a little more than tow hours.

However if you friend is completely wheelchair bound this may not be so easy as the docks are nearly all at the bottom of steep embankments. Each dock has a funicular in place but not all of them work all the time so you would need to hire some local men to do some lifting and carrying for you both. I'm guessing that your friend is able to leave the chair at least for some things.

I this is useful. If you have more questions just ask.
Nov 2, 2007 02:58
GUEST64645 Thanks, it does help. 4 hours(ish) to Fengdu, is there more than one bus a day? The Hydrofoil goes to Fengdu? That's great, we thought it only went to Fengjie, which is why we were trying to take a bus there. We are trying to see the fengdu ghost City and Shennong Stream in the space of about 4 days, the short travel times are encouraging, it sounds like it will be possible.
I can manage to get my girlfriend just about anywhere, we have been on many trains and even small boats in Thailand, so the Hydrofoil shouldn't be too difficult. We just have to worry about the toilets on long journeys, I was to understand that there are western toilets on the Chinese portion of the Hanoi-Beijing train
Nov 5, 2007 05:19
  • JABAROOTOO
Sorry let me clarify that answer.

No the Hydrofoil does not go to Fengdu.

It is four hours on the motorway to Wanzhou

It could be as long as four hours to Fengdu which is not on the motorway. The road is good to Fuling, about two hours, after that ..................it's a work in progress. Yes buses leave pretty often during the morning and taper of in the afternoon.

Personally, I don't recommend Ghost City any more, unless you have an insane fascination with hell and ugly sculptures. Visibility is often poor on this reach of the river too and apart from a temple on the top of the hill and the kind of Ghost Ride you have at fairs there is not so much to see. Check out the photos of other members. I've been to Fungdu for the weekend. The new town is opposite the old Ghost City and there is nothing endearing to see in the new city. There is a wonderful limestone cave that was opened to the public a few years ago but if you have seen one you have seen them all. Getting there and away would have to be private transport and allow 3/4 hours.

I do highly recommend Shennong Xi which is well worth the stop, staying overnight in Badong (all steps there too) This is the kind of experience you will never have anywhere else in the country. Actually there is a western style toilet on the small cruise boat that takes you up the Shennong Stream so at least that part will be comfortable. It is a long walk up the steps at Badong from the hydrofoil but once on the road you'll pick up a mini van for a few Yuan.

You can get from Chongqing to Badong in a day. Take the bus from Chaotianmen directly to the hydrofoil docks in Wanzhou. Hydrofoils leave about every hour from Wanzhou, only sailing in the daylight hours, making the new dam site near Yichang before dark.

We caught the 1.00pm boat to Badong which I think is the last going all the way to Yichang. If you want to stop you could go as far as Fengjie for the evening and have look around there before taking the boat to Badong in the morning. If you arrive early enough you may be able to arrange an afternoon cruise up Shennong. Shennong stream should cost Y150 per person for a four hour trip.

Stay the night in Badong and take the boat in the morning down to Yichang. It is an hour bus ride from the new dam site into Yichang. The hydrofoils will not go down the locks.

Read my review if you haven't already.

I admire you and if there is anything else you need help with please don't hesitate to ask. Have a great trip.

Nov 5, 2007 05:25
  • JABAROOTOO
One other thing about boarding the Shennong Xi cruise boat. We scrambled down the stairs and the bank on the south side of the river where we had a nice cheap room in a little hotel.

You would be better to see if you can go across the Yangtze river and board via the larger Yangtze river boats which berth just on the junction of the river and the stream and who will share the cruise with you.

In the morning it was 8.00 when we drew along side the two BIG boats. I'm not sure about the afternoon.
Nov 7, 2007 02:29
  • GERALDINE
HI there
we have found that some trains do have western toilets but they are usually locked and you have to ask the attendant for a key- they are often marked witha wheelchair as they are considered to be for disabled use. Not all trains have them- which do? Couldn't work out any system for this sorry. Hope this helps.
Nov 7, 2007 02:49
  • ELLYSE
Soft sleeper compartment will generally always have a Western toilet.
Nov 7, 2007 02:57
  • DREAMLIFE
Have you travelled by D-trains? These trains have toilets for the disabled. Very convenient. Unfortunately, these D-trains have not been used widely in China.
Nov 7, 2007 03:32
GUEST64645 Thanks everybody, this all helps alot, I am coming up with a list of further questions...
Feb 16, 2008 11:21
GUEST17155 I want travel from Fengdu to Chongqing airport . Is there a fast & cost effective way ?

Vili
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Train toilet, buses from chongqing to fengdu and fengjie.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code