Menu
How do Chinese women see laowai
Nov 5, 2007 02:55
  • AL32
OK, now I'm sure this will get a few replies...
I'm just wondering about this now and I thought I would see what people think about it:

Since I believe that Chinese men are in general a little distant or independant to their wife than Westeners (I could be wrong on this one with younger men, but anyway...), how do you think Chinese woman react to a laowai showing interest and his true feelings to her? I mean, could this scare some of them or be too unusual or untraditional?

I must add that I live in a smaller town in China which is quite "traditional" when comes to publicly showing you feeling for a loved one. I only saw 1 or 2 couples holding hands in the street - I never saw a couple kissing here. I understand that 'on the street' and in intimacy of the home is 2 different things, but still, could I be rejected for being too "emotional progresive"?

I'm espacially interested in knowing what Chinese women have to see on this, but eh!, any hint in this matter is welcomed.

Peace out
Nov 5, 2007 03:23
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Yo Al,

Whats a Laowai?
Nov 5, 2007 03:32
  • DODGER
Al,
Just back from Beijing and seen plenty of couples holding hands and smooching in the street and on the trains.
Looked like any other city that I have been to, in attitude.
The country side is a bit different.
My girl had no problem kissing me for a photo in the square and sort out my hand to hold while walking.
Dodger.
Nov 5, 2007 03:39
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Ohh,

Laowai is like "Yangguizi" but nicer.
Nov 5, 2007 05:15
  • AL32
DestruckDoz: Laowai just means foreigner..like anything else, they sometimes add adjectives to it to make it a little less nicer ...but I wont teach them here... ;-P

Dodger: I know, I've been to Shenzhen and HK b4 and I did not see anything hidden there. And the city I'm in is not what we could really call 'country side': 2 million people and 8 millions if you count the surrounding villages and illegal immigrants I guess. I'm less than 200miles from Beijing; it's just that this town is 'old school'. In a way, its a nice thing; for those who just want fun with girls, there are bathouses and nights at the KTVs.... But if you want a girlfriend with a head on her shoulders, than you got to take the time to do things right I guess.

So basically, I wonder if it is just a matter of respect for the elders and a way to 'not lose the face' in public or does it go further? I'm sure that if a local girl shows interest in me, she would probably expect me to behave differently than local Chinese men. Would she accept a different kind of relation where everything is not kept inside? I'd like to hear from the traditional Chinese lady members here: what are the dos and donts in a such relation?
Nov 5, 2007 06:07
When I was in Yueyang, Hunan Province, my lady ( at the Time ) didn't want to kiss or hold hands in public, she explained that Chinese men would like seeing her being so open with a foreigner, my ex-wife was the same when I met her in Hong Kong in 1988.
Alan.,
Nov 5, 2007 07:50
  • GHOST
Laowai = Gweilo
Nov 5, 2007 07:55
  • GHOST
Unfortunately, in some places, the Chinese can be quite unforgiving. One of my Chinese friends told me that when she was going out with her boyfriend (now husband) she regularly was addressed in Chinese by other Chinese about why she was dating a foreigner.

Some of the comments were quite rude and inferred that she was nothing less than a prostitute. She was very hurt by them - complete strangers just passing on the street.

I'm sure it must vary from area to area and city to city, but I would caution against showing excessive affection publicly, for the sake of the girl if nothing less, even if she says it's alright.
Nov 7, 2007 02:51
  • DREAMLIFE
Quote: Laowai is like "Yangguizi" but nicer.

Yes, Yangguizi has derogatory meanings. Have you ever seen Devils on the Doorstep, a movie directed by Jiang Wen? In Chinese, it is called 鬼子来了。 If you watch that movie, you will see what guizi means.
Nov 7, 2007 04:16
  • DODGER
OK, so now I know that Gweilo mean that same as Laowai and Yangguizi.
So what is the different in the meaning?
Dodger
Nov 11, 2007 22:48
GUEST91821 laowai means just foreigner (literally old/respected foreigner) and is a nuetral word it may or may not have a degrogitory meaning judge by context. yangguizi, means almost literally overseas weirdo refering to how different europeans, africans, ect look it's derogatory in a mild or medium way. Guilao (Gweilo) means devil/demon/ghost man and is very deragatory impling that you are not human, these days it's usually reserved for japanese.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How do Chinese women see laowai
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code