Menu
Bride Price questions
Sep 13, 2010 03:08
  • DAPHNEB
"...but my wife doesn't care as she's never been interested in money at all. " You are lucky, VOY, now women are all practical/
Nov 3, 2010 08:30
GUEST77738 My Hong Kong girlfriend's parents are asking for $300,000 HK or about $39,000 US. She says this is to show respect and to prove that I am not tricking her into a fake marriage where I take her baby and abandon her. Does this smell rotten to anyone else?
Nov 5, 2010 03:14
GUEST110 Guys... i do not know what for problems you all have/had...
When i married my wife i had to give some money to the parents to show i can support a family (my wife helped, then i m not a high earner...) around 8888 euro (is supposed to be a lucky number) but then the marriage paid the parents and the rest.. so i guess a good deal of the 8888 went off the wedding. Then we got also many gifts (mostly money) and so we got the money back for our apartment.
Something like this is mostly a money moving. Of course if you marry a girl without father, mother sick.. everybody want you to suport them.. This is China.. Family is important...
to tell u all a secret.. my wife is a bit too much after money, but she earn it herself so i think its fine.
Nov 6, 2010 21:43
  • CHERRY07
8888 euros? To expensive. And 300000 HK is expensive too. I can understand that how difficult it is for the parents to raise a girl. But asking so much money as bride price is not good. Do they try to sell their daughter to you or just use her as a tool of making money?

My friend is going to get married. He has bought gold ring, gold ear rings and gold necklace. And he has promised to pay for the first payment (150000 RMB) for their house. The girl's family didn't support him but required him to pay at least 20000 as bride price. Now my friend is very upset. How could they be so greedy?

His fiancee is from the countryside. He just told me "Never marry a girl from the countryside. The poor the family is, the more money they ask from you."
Nov 8, 2010 03:33
  • GAFFER
According to the Marriage Law of the PRC "1980-- amended according to the Decision on Amending the Marriage Law of the People's Republic of China made at the 21st meeting of the Standing Committee of the Ninth National People's Congress on April 28, 2001." Bride Money would seem to be illegal;

Article 3: Marriage arranged by any third party, mercenary marriage and any interference in the freedom of marriage shall be prohibited. Any exaction of money or property by means of marriage shall be prohibited
Nov 9, 2010 01:57
  • CHERRY07
Gaffer, it is a custom that the bride’s parents ask bride price from the groom’s family. Most Chinese families still observe this old custom. If the groom is lucky, his parents-in-law will not ask him to present a lot of money. My friend’s cousin is such a lucky guy. His parents-in-law understood that his family was not rich. Thus, they didn’t ask him for the bride price. When he decided to buy an apartment, his parents-in-law gave him 30000 yuan to support him.

I understand why the parents ask for the bride price. It is not easy for them to raise a little girl to become a lady. But they should also think about the boy’s family. They should not use their girls as a tool to make money for them.
Nov 9, 2010 03:19
  • GAFFER
Cherry,
Yes I know the custom and the reasons for it, but I think in many cases tradition has been replaced with greed....especially when the groom is a laowai and perceived to be rich.
Nov 9, 2010 03:30
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAFFER

Cherry,
Yes I know the custom and the reasons for it, but I think in many cases tradition has been replaced with greed....especially when the groom is a laowai and perceived to be rich.

Agreed. Many parents believe that foreigners are all very rich, hehe. But it also happens on Chinese grooms too.

PS: Did your parents-in-law ask for the bride price?
Nov 9, 2010 21:49
  • JIMMYB
Cherry, your friends' cousin is indeed lucky.

Giving bride prices and betrothal gifts is ok. You know, the girl's parents need to prepare their daughter dowry too. You give bride price to them and they just use it to buy their daughter dowry.

However, the bride's parents should not ask too much money from the groom's family. If I was the groom, I would think that I just spend my money buying a wife not marrying her.
Nov 10, 2010 09:51
  • GAFFER
Cherry,
No they didn't. They are country folk but were more interested in the happiness of their daughter. However, they know if ever there is anything they need they will get it.
Page 3 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Bride Price questions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code