Menu
Teaching English and Living in Changsha, Hunan Province
Jan 24, 2005 14:01
  • INAJANET
Hello, My name is Jane T., and I am so excited about a job offer that I have just received and accepted to teach English in Changsha for a year, beginning February 21! My teaching position is with the No. 1 Railway Middle School in Changsha, and I will be living in a fully furnished apartment for American teachers on the campus of this school! And, I have been placed in Changsha through the placement service, U.S.-China Education Services. Any information about this particular school in Changsha would be appreciated, as would any info about this U.S.- China Education Services! I am so excited about my upcoming year to be spent teaching English in Changsha!! Please let me hear from you.

Jan 24, 2005 14:20
  • ANTHEA
Hi Janet!
So glad to hear that you'll move to Changsha for a year! I presume you'll enjoy the life there. I've stayed there for more than four years and know missed there so much!

The No. 1 railway middle school is one of the key middle schools in Hunan Province. Locaed on the side of the major street in the city - Wuyi(may 1st) Street, less than 1km from the railway station.

For more questions about Changsha, I'll be glad to be of any help ^_^
Jan 24, 2005 23:18
  • INAJANET
Hi Andrea,
Thanks for your info re: the middle school in Changsha, Hunan Province! Should be receiving my travel itinerary soon, schedule of flights, airfare info, etc. Am making a one year commitment to teach English at this No. 1 Railway Middle School in Changsha! Chinese school will reimburse me for roundtrip airfare from the States! Any tips about air travel from Texas, USA to Changsha?
Jan 25, 2005 09:24
  • ANTHEA
There are no direct flight from USA to Changsha, so I think you should first fly to Beijing or Shanghai then transfer a flight to Changsha. So Just check the local air company in Texas if there are flights to Beijing or Shanghai or other Chinese cities.

A good day ^_^
Jan 27, 2005 00:22
  • INAJANET
Hello Anthea,
Thanks for your response re: airfare info from Texas to Changsha! And, U.S.-China Education Services, teacher placement service, is supposed to be sending me airfare purchase information! Are securing official documents for me at this time, and their next step is to send me the airfare info, along with some information re: my work visa application! Am just wondering about all of this, as February 21, the beginning of the Spring Semester in Chinese schools, is coming very soon!

Have a great day! Talk to you later.
Jan 27, 2005 09:20
  • ANTHEA
So the school will send you an invitation letter, with the letter, you can easily obtain you work visa. This will usually need one week. So there are still plenty of time, don't worry.
Feb 20, 2005 19:16
  • NORBERT
Hello Jane and Anthea,
please tell me more about Changsha. I will be there from June on, and my wife and I are a bit afraid about what to do there in our spare time, especially becasue the weather was really bad when we visited for our first time there.
It was really cloudy and foggy all the time.
Thank you
Norbert
Feb 20, 2005 21:22
  • AIQIU222
Hi Jane,

I don't know much about Hunan province I'm afraid, I've been living in Shandong further up but I just wanted to reassure you.

I didn't hear anything for ages before I left for my trip (I arranged it privately rather than through an agency) and was really quite worried. I had a total of 5 emails or so before I left England discussing my employment etc. It was only 2 days before my plane left that I heard someone would be able to pick me up at Jinan airport.

However, it all worked out really well, I've had a wonderful time. From my experience it can feel as though not much is getting done in China but it does, always, get done. The determination here is incredible and the friendliness second to none.

As for internal flights in China I booked mine from England, I'm sure there must be similar companies in America. I typed in 'Beijing AND Jinan AND flights' to Google and rang a couple of the companies that appeared. The agent I used was China Holidays, they were great, maybe they have an American office as well.

Hope this is of some help or reassurance. I've just looked at the dates of the posts and realise this is probably a bit late, you should be in China now. Still, written now.
Have fun.
May 12, 2005 14:21
  • SHINKI
hi Norbert: I can tell you something about Changsha, for I have been here for 4 years(but i am a Chinese hehe) In FaCT Changsha is a nice city, you wil have fun here, And there are many foreigners here and the locals especially students here are very friendly. but really the weather here is not good. it rains a lot in spring, in winter is cold and wet 2, but in summer is very hot and dry:) be careful then:) i am sure you will make a lot of friends here not only westerners but aslo locals then your spare time wont be boring/ by the way which school will you be teaching???
May 15, 2005 07:26
  • TOMASIA
Dear Jane,

I would really appreciate it if you could answer a few questions for me. I am wanting to visit changsha as i have met a chinese lady from there and i am wondering if there is anything i need to know before i embark on my travels as i have never been to china before. I do not wish to seem out of place or do anything to offend the community. If you are too busy i will understand.

Many thanks.

Tom.
Jun 3, 2005 05:13
  • NORBERT
Hi Shinki,
I won'tbe teaching in a school, I will work for an industrial company.
I hope I will enjoy Changsha too.

Norbert
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Teaching English and Living in Changsha, Hunan Province
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code