Menu
Why do overseas Chinese men seldom marry western women?
Jul 9, 2008 00:37
GUEST06934 Where do you people live and what century are you all from? Here in southern California in 2008 plenty of white women date Asian men. Asian women date White men. Hispanic people date Aisan people etc. Many are getting married and have beautiful children, myself included. When you finally are able to ditch all that xenophobic/stereotypical bullshit everybody is the same. You respect people, treat them well and they do same to/for you. The world is a better place if we all start breaking down racial lines.
Jul 10, 2008 20:11
GUEST2345 To GUEST06934,
Did you watch the movie Crash? The movie presents the scenario of Los Angeles(L.A)in California. Everyboday there has somewhat racial prejudice against others. The white prejudices against the blacks and persians. Hispanic people prejudice against Asians. L.A city is infested with the cancerous tumor of racism. People there stereotyped each other. The director filmed the movie in 2003, which partially reflected the state of L. A city.
Has the racist situation changed a lot in such a short term?
Jul 11, 2008 00:21
GUEST06934 Hi Guest2345,

I loved Crash but it's a movie with alot of dramatizations. It's like saying that The Last emperor was the exact story of the Ching dynasty. Still you are correct about racial prejudices in LA, especially among the newly arrived immigrants. But what counrty does'nt have racial prejudices?

I love LA because from my limited worldly experiences (and I'm a blond) LA is one of the only places in the world where such a HUGE number of different ethnic groups live together and yet manage to function together and even inter-marry successfully. LA has largest Persian population outside of Iran, the largest Vietnamese population outside Vietnam, the largest Armenian population outside Armenia, the second largest Chinese population in the US, one of the largest Hispanic populations in the US, a huge Croation population, a huge Korean population and many more. And you know what we all live side by side, don't kill each other and even get along sometimes. Sure there's prejudice but not a cancerous tumor. Put such large groups of people together in other parts of the world and you may get horrible situations like the Balkans, Darfur.

I'm bragging about my home but to me it's really a model of a place where different ethnic groups can live together united by being American, whether it's Chinese American, Vietnamese American, Persian American etc. (or maybe it's because we wear flip flops here in So Cal 24/7-see my fashion thread -ha ha).
Jul 13, 2008 20:41
GUEST2345 Hi GUEST06934,

I understand that Hollywood movies sometimes exaggerate the reality. While I came across several freinds from the USA and talked to them about the movie Crash, they said that the racial prejudices presented in the movie are somewhat true. IMO, Crash was a movie of realism! That's why many moviegoers like it.

I must admit that USA is a big melting pot. Nevertheless, the melting pot didn't function as well as it is expected to be. Asian and Mexican immigrants are marginalized. They are still excluded from the mainstream society. The minority immigrants mocked each other. Do you remember a scene in the movie: a Hispanic immigrants mocked the Asian's pronouciation after the rear-end? I thought the reason why people like you and me love the movie Crash is that it is a realitic movie that aroused our sentiment.
There are still big roadblocks for people of different races to get married.
Jul 14, 2008 22:11
Hi I used to be Guest 06934.

I think you have to come to America to see for yourself. Where do you come off with the impression that Asians are marginalized. I'm white American and my family is white American. We don't see my husband as anything other than American. I'm a stay at home mom now but I was a molecular biologist at a major university before. We could not function without the huge number of Chinese PhDs in our institution. Chinese are in every major position in the US, from YoYo Ma to IM Pei to Yao Ming. Of course there are people with prejudices but it's not like people in China don't make fun of blonds like me (round eyes, hairy legs-I shave thank you). I'm a cup half full person..Despite the prejudices in America the races still get along well.

Say Guest 2345. Are you Chinese? And would you allow your children to marry someone outside of your race?

Jul 15, 2008 20:33
GUEST2345 "Of course there are people with prejudices but it's not like people in China don't make fun of blonds like me (round eyes, hairy legs-I shave thank you). I'm a cup half full person..Despite the prejudices in America the races still get along well."

Hi 06934

I hope I am wrong about my knowledge of the racial prejudice in the USA. "We don't see my husband as anything other than American" I didn't mean that everybody in the USA is a racist. I mean racial prejudice is still a serious problem. Racial prejudice might not be as serious as it used to be. Today's inter-racial relation is different from the scene depicted in the West Side Story. Day-to-day conflicts have been eliminated in the USA?

"Would you allow your children to marry someone outside of your race?"
I am not a narrow-minded housewife. I give my children the freedom to find their life-companion. I don't mind if my boy falls in love with a girl outside of my race. If my boy loves a blond girl from USA, it's OK. Love can cross the racial boundary. However, I want to emphasize that it takes extra time for two people with different customs and living habits to be well mingled.
Jul 17, 2008 20:48
It takes ALOT of time and ALOT of work for two people with different customs and living habits to co-mingle. But if you're going to spend time and work on anything what a wonderful thing to spend it on. My husband and I have many differences and cultural nuances which are trying at times. However we're willing to meet each other half way and the results are great, especially when we are able to celebrate each other's diversity.

I doubt racial prejudices will be eliminated in my life time or even my childrens' but I have no doubt that they will be in the future. And I if I made a tiny contribution that would be great.
Jul 29, 2008 13:50
GUESTKOLA im not fully western, im also eastern but i have to say im attracted to the asain man even if i do appear to be caucasian!

maybe its just my japanese heritage kicking in i dont know but i find them preferable to the eye than a caucasian man
Jul 30, 2008 04:22
  • LEONARDO
Guestkola

Reading your post makes me to reply. Since I read an article in a Chinese newspaper talking about the popularity of Korea male actors among Chinese and Japanese women. You said that you have Japanese heritage and you are attracted to Asian men. So you must like Bae Yong Jun according to the survey carried out by a South Korean TV station. For detailed information, see my thread through following the link in the forum:
http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=48121

Picture: Bae Yong Jun (Right)

Aug 1, 2008 02:31
GUEST01974 OK I'm white. I live in China and I have to be honest. There are many beautiful men and women. But the amazing thing is. I don't see a huge difference in the numbers between the west and the east. I mean you talk about small physiques, but Chinese people are getting fat. I guess the obesity rate has increased 28 fold since 1985 and the next gen. is shocking doctors and I mean it is shocking. They look like little beach balls. It's a given that the three chins on an Asian person is smaller. I mean, no one can argue that. But lets be honest. Many thousands of miles divides America and China. As well as with todays media, it's hard to gauge what things appear to be. The American media has done an amazing job at glorifying Chinese women and does little for the Chinese male. As far as the statements about Chinese men not liking American women. Thats totally not true. Many American women will come over and sleep with Chinese men, but idea of a Chinese husband has never been proposed to the female demographic of America. Besides the average Chinese males future prospects are based mostly on finding a good job and supporting the wife and kids. The sex roles are much more diverse here. The husband works, perhaps the wife has a part time job . But she drives the car and controls the money and the shopping. He wears what she wants. She cooks his lunch and gives him money for cigarettes, maybe dinner then a couple of beers at the KTV. Except that in many cases they are slugging that insufferable rice wine. Things are still very traditional here and the people are proud of that. Women are of course taking a more dominant role. They often think that you can marry just anyone and then change them after (and it's all a segway to higher divorce rates). Which is a predisposition even amongst Chinese men. But the idea for the most part is inconceivable to the American man. Who come to China in search of the nonthreatening subservient wife that American media has portrayed. That kind of women is rare, far, and few in between. Not to say that the site of a wife following 15 feet behind her husband isn't uncommon, but this situation is for the most part segregated to the older generations.
Page 6 of 26    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do overseas Chinese men seldom marry western women?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code