Menu
Chinese salad dressing
May 30, 2008 11:41
  • DEELIGHTUK
Last year whilst on holiday I had a dish simply called "Chinese Salad". It contained iceberg lettuce, strips of ham, strips of carrots and strips of clear plastic looking stuff. The dressing on this salad was absolutely gorgeous. The chinese family kindly gave me some in a bottle which I took home. They said it would keep for a long time in the fridge and it did. I would love to recreate this salad dressing but I don't know where to start, maybe someone out there knows what it could be. It was a milky white colour and was sweet with a sour tang. It seperated whilst in the bottle and had to be shaken before putting on the salad. I hope someone can help me.
May 31, 2008 03:57
  • JABAROOTOO
Mayonaise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy it everywhere.

They also put this on fruit salad as a "salad dressing"
Jun 1, 2008 17:18
  • DEELIGHTUK
No, it wasn't mayonnaise, I know what mayonnaise tastes like. It was very watery for a start and tasted nothing like mayonnaise.
Jun 11, 2008 09:01
GUEST27119 Coconut milk?
Jun 16, 2008 04:40
GUEST16250 Hi we have just come back from Spain and had the same chinese salad dressing it was fantastic I've been searching the web today but can't find a recipe have you had any luck - Brenda
Jun 16, 2008 08:10
  • JABAROOTOO
What part of the country did you eat this "Salad Dressing".

It may help us to discover just what it is. It doesn't seem to be a typical dressing as salads are only eaten in a very small number of provinces.
Jun 16, 2008 12:05
GUESTDEELIGHT Hi Brenda, no I haven't had any luck:0(
I ate the salad dressing in Tarragona, Spain so I have no idea which part of China it comes from unfortunately:0(
It didn't taste like coconut either so I don't think it had coconut milk in.
Jun 17, 2008 07:44
  • JABAROOTOO
Am I understanding you correctly.

You ate this salad dressing in SPAIN

Not CHINA.
It may not be Chinese at all.

As I said Salad'in much of China is not typical or traditional and the only ones that I have eaten have either been dressed with nothing or oil and crushed garlic and chilli

or in quasi 'western style' restaurants IMPORTED dressings like Mayonaise Thousand Island and French dressing are served from the bottle.

Just like Deep Fired Icecream can be found nowhere here in the country unless it a less than appertizing version imported from Canada.

You might have to post on a Spanish forum to find the answer to this question. Good Luck
Jun 19, 2008 06:02
GUEST16250 Hi Dee we're going back to Torremolinos in September 2008 so I'll have to ask the chinese restaurant how it's made. I'll keep you posted Brenda
Jul 1, 2008 14:21
GUEST14444 Thanks Brenda, will be much appreciated!
Dee
Jul 2, 2008 08:46
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes. I'm also very curious about this now. It's a bit of a mystery!!
Page 1 of 7    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese salad dressing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code