Menu
I have misdemeanor (but big misdemeanor) can I still work in China?
Mar 24, 2011 17:05
GUEST88391 I am planning to study the TEFL qualification and then work as an English teacher in China with my partner who is Chinese. We want to run a private school and I am not sure what Visa I would need, this will be for long term. Can you help?
Mar 24, 2011 20:26
GUEST54140 You can first apply for a Student Visa (X) to study TEFL qualification, when you run a private school in China, you need to apply for work visa (Z)
Mar 25, 2011 11:50
  • APAULT
I disagree with Guest54140

To work as an English teacher you SHOULD get a Z visa and then transmute it to a Temporary Residence Permit, though in practice you might work on an F visa (not really legally, but it's common).

If you want to run a language school you will, face MANY regulatory issues. Forget running it as a foreigner, your wife must be the business proprietor. You will then apply for a visa according to your situation. I*f the school can employ foreigners (almost impossible) you can get a Z visa and then a Temporary Residence Permit. If the business is fully funded from overseas and meets many regulatory conditions you can get an F visa (business). More likely, you will get a tourist visa on the basis of being with family (more generous than for normal tourists). OR..... you might get an F visa thru the back door... the guanxi system, either directly or thru an agent.

Try to find other expats who run businesses in conjunction with their Chinese partners and see how they have managed things...and finally remember the advice is only as good as the office you must apply to and could be different today!
May 28, 2014 18:16
GUEST57118 God almighty, people! Is it really that hard to just answer the OPs question? Two pages, and people have gone around in circles about what kind of degree you need, and what kind of visa you should get... but nobody has come close to even addressing the question.

One guy even made two lengthy posts, 1) talking about the fact the guy must not have the appropriate education, then 2) going on about whether or not the wording "permanent visa" (which the guy doesn't want ANYWAY) is actually correct.

That is ridiculous!

It is a very straightforward question he asked: If you want to work in China on a Z Class Visa, and you have a previous misdemeanor conviction, how should you handle it?

If you know the answer, please post. If you don't... why are you posting?
Nov 24, 2014 21:02
  • BIRDLAND
Anybody have any recent experience with this to share? I want to say "no" criminal record. Can I still get away with it? z visa.
Nov 16, 2017 02:06
GUESTGREGORY Looking to teach in China I'm an American and currently just finished working for a BPO in India as I'm still here. I noticed on the application they said they do would reveal my misdemeanor,so I'm guessing just to enter yes rather than see what happens, does any one have knowledge as to what I should answer?
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: I have misdemeanor (but big misdemeanor) can I still work in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code