Menu
Do Shuai Ge and Mei Nv have second meaning?
Jul 21, 2008 02:58
guest7057 I have noticed a strange thing in China, that is, Chinese people like calling others Shui Ge (handsome or attractive guys) and Mei Nv (beautiful girls). Sorry, I couldn't write them in Chinese. However, those who are called Shuai Ge and Mei Nv are not handsome or attractive. Really strange!

Are they trying to flatter each other by saying these? Or do these two words have second meanings?
Jul 21, 2008 09:34
  • XJD1007
in most cases,yes.person who call others 帅哥 or 美女who are not so good-looking are just flattering or sometimes, mocking.
Jul 23, 2008 01:07
  • ZOEY
So, don't be surprised when some Chinese guys call you 帅哥 (Shuai 4 Ge 1), Guest7057. If you really look handsome, that would be a different thing. Wait, do you know how Chinese people, especially those young guys, call those girls who don't look pretty? They usually call them 恐龙 (Kong 3 Long 2 Dinosaur). Actually, this word is very popular in the internet.
May 31, 2011 06:25
GUEST16922 People sometime just use Shuai Ge or Mei Nv to call a waiter or waitress.
Jun 20, 2011 04:40
GUEST7940 Haha, very interesting. My friend John told me that he had an awkward experience. He was wandering on the street with his girlfriend. Suddenly, a man behind him said "Please wait for a second, Shuaige." He turned back and asked "Are you calling me?" The man said "Sorry, I called the man in front of you". He felt very embarrassed.

Jul 6, 2011 03:54
My female friends would often call a waiter shui ge to get his attention- works better than fuwuyuan and you tend to get better service!
Jun 2, 2012 16:45
GUEST42198 I think they just mean "sweetie"
Jun 2, 2012 21:45
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST42198

I think they just mean "sweetie"

I think it is different from 'sweetie'. We call our lover, families or people we are very familiar with 'sweetie', right? But Chinese people sometimes address people they first meet Shuai Ge or Mei Nv. For example, when you are lost, you have to ask for directions. Suddenly, a young boy passes by. Then you can say 'Shuai Ge, I am lost. Can you tell me how I can get to XXX?"

Usually, people are very happy when you call them Shuai Ge or Mei Nv even though they are not handsome or pretty.
Jun 25, 2012 11:50
  • DUBANZ
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST7940 View Post

Haha, very interesting. My friend John told me that he had an awkward experience. He was wandering on the street with his girlfriend. Suddenly, a man behind him said "Please wait for a second, Shuaige." He turned back and asked "Are you calling me?" The man said "Sorry, I called the man in front of you". He felt very embarrassed. <br />
[huanha...

Very interesting.haha
Mar 29, 2013 09:08
GUEST37818 Google translator gives "guy" back for Shuaige (so, very neutral), and "beauty" for Mei Nv (sounds like a compliment).
Apr 29, 2013 12:27
  • CHINACXF
you are thinking too much ,like you, "shuaige" just means "hey! boy!" "meinv" just means "hey girl", because we don't know his/her name
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do Shuai Ge and Mei Nv have second meaning?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code