Menu
Girl to rent a boyfriend to go home during the Spring Festival
Jan 19, 2009 01:45
  • LEOPOLD219
A girl at Peking University posted an advertisement about renting a boyfriend to go home during the Spring Festival. She said she would like to pay 10,000 RMB per day as the rent. The girl told a about the reasons for her to rent a boyfriend. Her parents want her to take a boyfriend to see them during the Spring Festival, but she doesn’t have a boyfriend. She wants to rent a boyfriend to comfort her parents because they are so concerned about her lifetime companion. When children grow up, Chinese parents are particularly worried about their children’s marriage. When it comes to the Spring Festival, a number of parents wish their grown children to come home with their life partners. Taking a boyfriend/girlfriend to go home is the best gift for the parents whose children are grown-ups but still single. Rent a boyfriend or a girlfriend to see parents during the Spring Festival? What do you think of this idea?

Jan 19, 2009 04:57
  • CALLMECLAUDE
It's an idea like others, but I don't think it will work. The parent will see that no chemistry exist in the couple.

Another point of view! She will receive lots of replies for sure. And maybe one of them will become a real boyfriend for the next year.

Or, just tell her to book me for next year :)
Jan 19, 2009 13:39
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
This girl must be real desperate. Considering that the average wage in Beijing is 36,097 RMB (US$4,660) and that the spring festival lasts about 7 days, that is a lot of money to put down on something that is a lie.

But if it were me (I am Chinese as well and understand the pressure) I would have posted an ad that would benefit both sides, such as visiting both sets of parents without any money changing hands, because after all, the male has pressure to bring home a girlfriend as well.
Jan 19, 2009 21:01
  • LEONARDO
After reading this post, I am wondering if this is related to culture. Does it happen in the western culture? Say, would your western singles rent a temporary boyfriend or girlfriend to visit your parents for Christmas Reunion?

The story is no more new in China. In recent years, such online advertisements have been seen when it comes to the Spring Festival, a big occasion for family reunion, when the anxious Chinese parents are so eager to see their children’s partners. For those have been old enough (25-30) but still haven’t found their Mr. or Mrs Right, parents would tirelessly arrange countless matchmakings at the Lunar New Year. Some parents even tell their children: “if you don’t take a boyfriend/girlfriend, don’t come back home for the coming Spring Festival.” Consequently, some filial and obedient children have to figure out some ways to please (comfort) the anxious parents. Renting a temporary girlfriend or boyfriend is all the rage during the Spring Festival.

I have heard about a more heart-breaking story about a woman who is 32 year old. She was in love with a boy for 8 years, but finally they broke up. The guy fell in love with someone else. In Chinese society, for a woman who has been over 30, it is somewhat hard to find a man to marry, she seems “old” for many men. Now the lunar new year is approaching, she was planning to back home to reunite with her family members. She received a ultimatum from her father saying that don’t come home, because she is old but unmarried, and the friends and relatives will question why she is still single. She had to face enormous pressure. So she decided not to go home for the Spring Festival and she would stay alone during the festive Spring Festival, an occasion for family reunion.

How bad it is for Chinese people who are still unmarried after 30!? Is it all about a cultural thing uniquely occurring in Chinese society? How about the western parents’ attitudes towards their unmarried children who have been a bit old for marriage ( at the age of 30+)?Are they more tolerant?
Jan 21, 2009 21:58
Many webforums are flooded with such ads. It just shows how desperate Chinese youths have become in order to please their parents.

Jan 23, 2009 03:35
  • DRAGONBALL
(可怜天下父母心!)Only parents are always concerned with their sons and daughters.
Jan 23, 2009 20:23
  • SUNNYDREAM
Renting a temporary Bf/gf to please parents? It is cheating. If I had children, I would rather they came home alone and be honest to me. Tomorrow will be the Eve of Chinese Lunar New Year. Happy Spring Festival to you, both obedient children and anxious parents.
Jan 24, 2009 03:54
GUESTGUY 10,000 Yuan per day? It is a tempting offer! I want to take on the job.
Jan 24, 2009 04:53
  • GAFFER
Leonardo,
In the UK (and US) there is no such pressure from parents for their children to bring bf/gf home for celebrations or even for them to have bf/gf's, although they like to see them in a happy relationship. Parents do not rely on their children to take care of them in the same way in old age so this is not such an important issue for them. Also ageism is not such a problem. Although most women probably marry (or live with a permanent partner) by their mid to late 20's it is becoming more common to marry later and probably after several relationships. I think generally couples tend to be of a more similar age but women usually choose a man a few years older.
Jan 24, 2009 10:15
  • MARRIE
I have a couple of cousins. One cousins's future husband is picked up by her mother in matchmaking market, but rest of them have life long partners from school mates. From my understanding, those kinds of things - renting bf/gf rarely happen in my homecity where local students are more conservative and serious than those from rest of china although it's the biggest and the modernest city in china.
Jan 29, 2009 20:36
GUESTMARISSA Oh well, in latin america there is also some kind of pressure too, because if you do not get married they tell the woman, (even as a joke a saying that more or less translated to English language) can explain the if she does not marries, she is going to be the keeper and putting the clothing to the saints of the altar, and that she will be like those cured hams...(you know the spanish hams that are cured for ages...) So seems in all cultures there is a pressure for woman. Thanks God that has changed a lot lately, (thanks Mrs. feinstein and other woman leaders and feminists) so women do not have in America that pressure, you just marry when you want. But years ago, yes, there was pressure also.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Girl to rent a boyfriend to go home during the Spring Festival
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code