Menu
Do you have these bad eating habits?
Feb 11, 2009 00:35
  • KATRINA
Bad eating habits are bad for our health. Sometimes, you cain gain weight. Sometimes, you will have digestion problems. The following are the seven bad eating habits. Please check yourself to see if you have some.

No.1 Eating in the kitchen.

Standing beside a fridge or oven, you can't help eating food, especially when you are preparing food.

No.2 Eating at work.

No.3 Eating in the dark.

Under this circumstance, people seldom notice how other people look at them. So they eat as much as they can.

No.4 Eating in the restaurants.

Those who have food in the restaurant get more fat. Women who eat outside for 6 to 13 times absorb 290 calories on average per day.

No.5 Eating in front of TV or computer.

Their attention has been distracted by TV programs or e-games. Thus, they eat unconsciously. I mean they don't know how much they have eaten. They can get fat easily.

No.6 Eating when they are busy.

Better not eat when you are very busy. This may cause stomache or other digestion problems. On the other hand, it has been proved that those who eat quickly gain much calories. That's why they gain weight.

No.7 Gobble food without chewing carefully.

Chewing food carefully is good for your stomach. If you get the habit of gobbling, you are easy to suffer digestion problems, for example, stomache.
Feb 11, 2009 01:31
  • WANHU
what are the 7 good eating habits? You will be a new Covey.
Wan
Feb 13, 2009 03:30
  • KEVIN0518
Wan, you might share your good eating habits. My suggestion: never eat too much at supper. This is bad for your health.
Feb 14, 2009 10:08
  • WANHU
Yes Kevin, it is really a good advice. For my evening meal, I would have vegetable and/or fruit salad. One glass of plain water and a glass of green apple juice, without sugar.

Sometimes I am confused because some Chinese friends refer as supper but to me is dinner. Maybe you can share with us when is breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner and supper. When I first reported duty to work for the government, I was sent for etiquette and protocol course for two weeks, they taught us about breakfast, lunch... about official dinner and black tie, table manners., etc The difference between British and French. Not really suitable for Malaysian everyday life.

Wan
Feb 16, 2009 03:36
  • KEVIN0518
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU View Post

Sometimes I am confused because some Chinese friends refer as supper but to me is dinner. Maybe you can share with us when is breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner and supper.

In my family, we usually have breakfast between 7 am and 8 am. As for lunch, it is between 12 am and 13 pm. And we have supper between 7 to 8 pm.

Another one: Don't do strenuous exercise after eating. Otherwise, you will suffer a lot (This is a lesson that I have learnt).
Feb 16, 2009 21:12
  • WANHU
Dear Kevin, when is your dinner?
Wan
Feb 17, 2009 20:48
  • KEVIN0518
\
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU View Post

Dear Kevin, when is your dinner?
Wan

Usually, there is no difference between supper and dinner in my family. If you really want to know the difference, please have a look at this.

Source: Wiki.

Supper is the name for the evening meal in some dialects of English - ordinarily the last meal of the day.

The term is derived from the French souper, which is still used for this meal in Canadian French, Swiss French and sometimes in Belgian French. It is related to soup. It is also related to the German word for soup, suppe. (The OED, however, suggests that the root, sup, retains obscure origins. OED Online, Accessed 31 October 2007.)

[edit] Other meanings
In Britain, whereas "dinner" is a fairly formal evening meal, "supper" is used to describe a less formal, simpler family meal, but also the fairly formal variety in others. In working class British homes, as in Australia and Ireland, "tea" can be used for the evening meal. In the United Kingdom, supper is a term for a snack eaten after the evening meal and before bed, usually consisting of a warm, milky drink and British biscuits or cereal. In the United Kingdom, particularly in Scots, Scottish English and Ulster Scots, a fish supper is a portion of fish and chips. The word is used also as a modifier in this way for a range of other similar meals, such as a "sausage supper", "pastie supper", "haggis supper" and indicates the addition of chips.

In Australian English, supper may refer to a late light dessert or snack (such as toast and cereal) had some time after dinner. In New Zealand it is similar – generally cake and tea/coffee served later in the evening, particularly when people have visitors.

Feb 17, 2009 20:49
  • KEVIN0518
In most of the United States and Canada, "supper" and "dinner" are considered synonyms, both typically served between 6pm and 8pm, although in the rural American South serving between three and five o'clock is common. In the South, the term "dinner" can also be used to describe the meal at around 11am, while supper is used to denote the evening meal. A Southern "poor man's supper" consists of some type of beans such as pintoes, potatoes, fatback, and cornbread. In rural areas of the Upper Midwest supper is an evening meal which is adapted to the daily rhythm of farm life and similar to eating customs in northern Europe where most of the inhabitants originate from. Supper is the last of three to five daily meals: breakfast, (morning lunch), dinner, (afternoon lunch or "coffee") and supper. The main meal is between 11.30am and 1pm. Supper is usually lighter and often consists of bread with cold meat, cheese, soup, salads, fried potatoes, egg dishes and / or dairy products. The decline of typical Midwestern farm culture and urbanization of American language and habits has led to a change in Midwestern eating habits in the past thirty years. Supper is still usually considered lighter fare and a more casual setting, and may be served before a usual dinner time so that evening activities may be unaffected.

In the Republic of Ireland, a "chicken supper" is a meal of chips, gravy, onions, peas and chicken breast.

In Scotland, a "fish supper" is a traditional fish and chips from the takeaway

In Germany supper is called Abendessen (evening meal) or Abendbrot (evening bread). The main meal ("Mittagessen" or dinner) is usually at noontime. Supper is generally eaten between 5.30pm and 8pm. In Poland supper is called kolacja, the meal is usually taken from 6pm to 9pm. The main meal (obiad) is usually at afternoon. In Germany as same as in Poland supper is a variety of breads and rolls are baked for this meal. Cold meats, sausages, various sorts of ham, cheese, pickles also honey, tomatoes, and other sliced vegetables are served with the bread. Usually one drinks coffee or herbal tea, fruit juices, milk or beer with this meal. In Poland Christmas Eve's supper is taken at evening on 24th of December, and traditionally contains 12 meals.

In Portugal, Spain, Latin America, Asia and the Arab World, supper may be taken as late as right before sleep.

In the Philippines, supper or in Tagalog, hapunan, is taken from as early as 6pm to 9 pm.

In Singapore, "dinner" refers to the first evening meal, while "supper" refers to the meal taken later in the evening after dinner, usually after 10pm.

Feb 18, 2009 12:59
  • WANHU
Thank you Kevin for your lengthy reply. I just I want to know about your dinner and supper. Wikipedia may be a reference source but not an authoritative reference source. It is never wrong to associate dinner with supper because lexicographer never agrees what constitutes a lunch or a dinner. The New Brittannica-Webster dictionary defines lunch as "a light meal, esp one eaten in the middle of the day" (NBWD,1981: 533) while dinner according to The New Penguin English dictionary is "the principal meal of the day taken either in the evening or at midday" (NPED, 2000: 390).

I have my dinner around 1800-2000. Sometimes, at end of the month, my eldesr daughter treats us dinner at a nearby restaurant when she receives her salary.

Wan
Feb 18, 2009 21:22
  • KEVIN0518
Dear Wan,

As for me, I eat three times a day: breakfast (7 to 8 am), lunch (12 to 13 pm) and supper (6 to 7 pm).

"according to The New Penguin English dictionary is "the principal meal of the day taken either in the evening or at midday"

At midday, it should be lunch. In the evening, it should be supper. However, I used to think that dinner is only taken in the evening and it is the same as supper. Now it proves that I was wrong. It could be lunch as well as supper.
Feb 25, 2009 22:12
GUESTEXAS I do all the 7 listed by you and i'm as healthy as an ox (that's what the docs said last year). so stop posting trash will yer?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you have these bad eating habits?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code