Menu
34 detained for cheating in China’s national college entrance exam
Jun 14, 2009 05:50
  • BLUESKY001
34 suspects have been detained for involving in cheating in China’s national College Entrance Examination in Songyuan city, in northeastern China’s Jilin Province.

According to reports, two high-school teachers in Songyuan City tried to sell high-tech cheating devices ( receivers, earphones, chargers and batteries) to parents of students on the Eve of the College Entrance Exam.

At least 29 students were caught cheating in the national college entrace exam, of which 23 students were caught with the cheating devices on June 8th, the second day of the exam. Another 6 students asked other people to take the exam on their behalf.

China’s National College Entrance Examination is thought to be the most important national-level examination. Millions of students sit in for the exam and want to be enrolled by the prestitious universities in China. Despite the currrent severe job-market shriking situation, getting enrolled by key universities is still viewed as a “Golden Path”. In particular, for the students in rurual China, sitting in for the national college entrance examination remains the best (only) way out to get rid of destitution. Hence, the fairness of National College Examination shouldn’t be affected. I am from rurual China. I understand well how important the college entrance is.

What makes me sad most is that the two teachers who should taught students “ the right morals and ethics” are selling cheating devices. In the front of personal benefits and profits, how is “teachers’ morality” so fragile? How does their ethics collapse so easily?

Jun 14, 2009 05:51
  • BLUESKY001
Cheating devices

Jun 14, 2009 22:54
  • GRIZ326
Only 34 cheaters? I'd say that's a really small percentage when the stakes are so high. Even multiplied 100x it's not many cheaters given the importance of the test.
Jun 15, 2009 02:35
  • KATRINA

Griz326, the revealed scandal is just a tip of an iceberg. There are more hidden cases. The cheating case does not only happen in Songyuan. Six cheaters (4 college students and one high-school teacher) in northern China's Shanxi Province for selling cheating devices in the college entrance examination. The college entrance exam, known as "gaokao" in Chinese, is considered the world's largest in terms of entrants number. " Gaokao" is very decisive in determining a student's career. Diploma matters a lot in China.
Jun 15, 2009 04:40
GUEST4847 The number of testees have been mounting in the recent yearsm but the employment rate has declined year by year. Only a small fraction of them can land "decent jobs" in the future. A college diploma will not assure them a good future and promising career opportunities.
Jun 22, 2009 22:37
  • FRANKENSTEIN
The stakes are so high that people around the whole society are fanatic about the exam. A common saying among ordinary Chinese is" Gaokao(national entrance exam) can change your destiny". So it is!
Jul 1, 2009 04:48
GUEST6328 It's the exam-oriented education's fault.!!!
Jul 3, 2009 22:43
  • GRIZ326
>>>The cheating case does not only happen in Songyuan.

That is absolutely true. There are cheaters the world over who attempt to steal their way to fame and fortune; some times they succeed. I just hope is that the doctor working on me did not graduate from med school by cheating. ;)
Jul 5, 2009 22:24
  • SUNNYDREAM
Cheating on exams is a mirror of moral inadequacy. A competent person with low moral and ethical standards and a less competent person with integrity and high moral value, which one do you choose if you are a HR manager? The answer is not hidden.
Post a Reply to: 34 detained for cheating in China’s national college entrance exam
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code