Menu
How is the cost of living in dalian, china?
Jul 1, 2009 19:23
Guys, I need a little help. I will be working in dalian, china I just like to know the cost of living there. And is it hard to look for an affordable apartment?
Please help.. Thanks!
Sep 9, 2009 04:16
  • HONGFU
depends on your life quality, 2000RMB/month you will get a very nice apartment close to center, 1500rmb/month you can go to general restaurant everyday.
Sep 23, 2009 09:06
GUEST37651 Compare to the average income, the living cost is quite high in Dalian.But if you get an international working package, the salary will keep you a great life here.1000USD can cover all your cost monthly. (acommodation, foods, drinking weekly, sports, movie,etc..)
If you need further information, feel free to contact me at gmail.com|wangxd, I just moved to Dalian 6 months ago, still exploring the city.
Apr 20, 2010 16:44
GUEST28967 we are moving to Dalian soon. Can anybody recommend housing agencies/realtors in order to find a nice place closE to the international schools?
thanks, geraldine. email: gmail.com|cbgeraldine.detella
Nov 1, 2010 11:58
GUEST48118 I am thinking of taking a teaching job in Dalian. I was offered $8000RMB a month. My question is they allow an extra $1500 for living expenses since I have 2 children who are coming with me to. Will I be able to afford to live and save a little money? Also is the amount they are offering a very decent pay? I have over 20 years teaching experience and I was not sure if it was a good package or not. I have to pay to fly the girls over since that is not part of the package. Thank you for any help you can offer me on this matter.
May 24, 2011 01:42
GUEST58155 Hello, I have 3 boys in school and I am trying to get info on the cost of living in Dalian or any others nice location in China, like Xi"an, Tianjian, Wuhan, Shenzhen, Hainan.. Please email gmail.com|TribalMissions. Thank you. MiXonFamily
Jun 22, 2011 11:58
GUEST83570 I am looking for someone that has first hand experience living in Dalian China because Im dealing with a challenging situation with my uncle who has been residing in Dalian for about a year now (Zhongshan district). He is married to a Chinese citizen and I believe their son (only one child) also has a chinese passport. The reason for my inquiry is that my uncle is constantly asking my family in Canada to send him money to support him and his family. He speaks perfect english but doesn't know Chinese and says that its very difficult for him to find work in Dalian.

What I'd like to find out is what would the monthly expenses of a family of 3 be in Dalian (rent, food, transportation, etc.). Im also wondering how easy is it for a westerner who speaks english to find work opportunities there as Im not sure if my uncle is really trying hard enough or not. He has also said that you need a special teaching degree to get a job teaching english which he does not have (I believe he only has a high school diploma).

My uncle has also said that his son is not eligible for public schools because the father is not chinese (my uncle says the authorities go by father's nationality, regardless what the nationality of the son is) and that he has to send him to private school and that private english schools in China cost about $2000-3000/yr in tuition. Does anyone have any experience with private school tuitions and if so, does that sound reasonable?

I would really appreciate any info on the above questions, thanks
Jun 22, 2011 20:46
  • LINGYUXISU
My cousin is a college student in Dalian and my aunt sends him rmb2,000 per month as living expenses (not including accommodation, he lives in the school dorm).
May 10, 2013 14:36
GUEST44186 Hi

I am an English American (citizen of both) and travel to Dalian as my lady lives there. Dalian is NOT Shanghai. If you don't speak Mandarin, you are not going to be able to do much at all. Why your uncle would move somewhere he doesn't speak the language or hasn't enrolled already is beyond me, but still.
Simply put he has to either learn Mandarin or leave. That's assuming he wants to work for a living.
As for expenses. 5000 rmb should see him OK, including rent and all living expenses (about $1K a month) but he's not going out to restaurants every night on that. Rent will run him about 4000 for something half way reasonable, food 500rmb, if he cooks at home or eats in locals restaurants (with locals)
Hope this helps.
May 21, 2013 01:48
GUEST89234 A question for the last poster. I lived in Nanjing for a couple of years and was able to get private students for English tutoring quite easily (although to set up the contact required advert in Mandarin and a couple of calls take by a Chinese friend). Is there not such a demand for tutoring English to school kids in Dalian?
Apr 21, 2014 12:50
GUESTROKHAYA Hi im going ro dalian in about 2 mounth as à student m'y parent Will Send me about 3000 yuan per mounth no including living expence Will that be enought to have a nightlife and go to restaurant here and there ???
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How is the cost of living in dalian, china?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code