Menu
Former Microsoft Chief involved in “fake degree” scandal!
Jul 8, 2010 01:25
  • JIMMYB
Jun Tang, former president of Microsoft China, is involved in “fake degree” scandal.

Fang Zhouzi, known as a “Science Cop”, accused Jun Tang fabricated his doctorate degree from California Institute of Technology. Fang also doubted Tang’s ownership of two companies early in Tang’s career in US.

Jun Tang of course fights back. “I've never said I graduated from the California Institute of Technology (CIT). I only said I had done some research there,” Tang said. He also told China Daily that he got his doctorate degree at Pacific Western University.

However, Fang has found out some evidence. Fang s checked the names of graduates from CIT's computer science department and didn’t find the name Jun Tang, the name that Tang used when he entered Microsoft in 1994. He also checked the patent database of the US Patent and Trademark Office since 1976 and found that Tang’s two patents - a rating system for karaoke bars and a machine for producing photo stickers - are actually owned by other people.

After Tang said that he got his doctorate degree at Pacific Western University, Fang did some research and claimed that PWU had been closed by the US government in 2006 for selling degrees.

In earlier time, Fang found that Tang had written in his book My Success Could Be Duplicated that he received a doctoral degree in computer science from CIT. And this can be found in the early-published book.

When I was in college, I had heard about Jun Tang and set him as my example. Now I am disappointed to see that he fabricated his doctorate degree and two patents.

Photo and conten are excerpted from China Daily.

Jul 10, 2010 01:27
GUEST10148 I like proof that Jun Tang did not honestly study to get his doctorate and what was his actual capacity(actual title, honoaray CEO for life, did he fire all those who stood up to him..etc) while at MSFT before we can actually assume that.

But emotionally I am siding that he is a fake. Hopefully with facts and honesty we can make the world a better one by changing current twisted attitudes and characters - redefining what success is, for the good of china and the world as a whole!
Jul 11, 2010 01:13
  • KEVIN0518
His case has aroused a series of incidents. Many CEOs in China hold the degree from the Pacific Western University. According to the news, Peking Unversity was also involved. It said that you just need have classes in Peking University and then you would earn the doctorate degree of PWU. The tuition is about 100,000 yuan.

Now the publisher has announced that it was a mistake to write Tang received a doctoral degree in computer science from CIT. At the same time, Tang's books have disappeared on the online store.
Last edited by KEVIN0518: Jul 11, 2010 01:13
Jul 11, 2010 23:31
GUEST15584 CIT?? Caltech!
Jul 13, 2010 01:21
GUEST75365 The byproduct of exposing Tang's controversial manner to obtain degree is that PWU becomes as known in China as those dazzling names such as Yale University.
I think the management of PWU should return Tang the money he paid for his degree as Tang advertises for PWU for free.
Jul 13, 2010 01:34
  • MARRYMAX
GUEST75365,

funny. The university was closed for its bad reputation. Now Chinese people do hear it but they all know that it is a bad school. I tried to check the news. Tang might be fired if he has been proved to earn fake doctorate degree.

The thing I can't understand is that even its previous employer didn't notice this. A foreign academic degree is so popular in China no matter it is real or not. Do Chinese people believe that all foreign thing are better than their own?
Jul 13, 2010 18:59
  • MARRIE
<<A foreign academic degree is so popular in China no matter it is real or not.>>

No, not any more. The way China measure your value is how much u can bring for investment, profits because Chinese job market cannot well absorb excellent graduates including from overseas now except that you carry extraoridanry skills that few people hold or you can bring investment fund..And nowadays, foreign university set up branches in mainland China's universtiy , like Harvard, so that high school graduates can study in foreign university locally.

Also, the well known fact that buying fake degree and or unqualified academic degree makes overseas graduates become less and less attractive...

Jul 15, 2010 01:23
  • CHARLOTT
Marrie,
I agree with you that the foreign degrees are not as popular as before. But you see that there are still a lot of people who buy foreign degrees. Except Tang’s scandal, some other CEOs and scholars are suspected to buy the degrees too. Cheatings seem to be everywhere.

Tang explains in the telephone interview that “You can deceive one person and it is not a problem. If you can deceive all the people, it proves that you are very capable. You are successful.”

He is successful because he has deceived many people. But he will pay price for his dishonesty. By the way, the latest news discloses that Tang will not be fired by Xinhuadu. Very surprising! If he works in a western company, I guess that he has been fired already.

How do foreign corporations deal with this?
Jul 15, 2010 19:37
  • MARRIE
I live an immigrants' country. Based on my experience, Chinese and India employees are better than others from professional pesperctive. Challote, to tell u the truth, the foreign corp's working force quality is not as good as we Chinese can imagine. So dont' blindly worship foreign corps. From my experience, some managers or employees in foreign big co. are definitely not qualified for where they are. Those unqualified were even not to be qualified for working with assembly line if u put them in Chinese job market!
Jul 18, 2010 04:28
I am hoping that there will be more guys like Fang Zhouzi who can stands out and investigate how many Chinese scholors are doing cheatings.

Once I read that Chinese people every year publish a large numbers of theses but the qualities are very low. Then I understand why the quality are very low. Those scholors don't study much. They just copy and finish their theses.
Jul 19, 2010 22:06
  • MARRYMAX
Tang once said that he would sue Fang Zhouzi but he hasn't taken any action till now. Besides, he remains silent about his fake doctorate degree. I think that everything is clear now. The readers must know that who is a liar.

Now Tang is going to shoot his first movie. It is about how a man from the countryside becomes a successful entrepreneur. He told the media that Li Kaifu, Ma Yun, Yu Minhong, Wang Shi, Zhang Chaoyang, Li Yanhong and other successful men will appear in his movie. Of couse, he will play a role, a security man in a building.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Former Microsoft Chief involved in “fake degree” scandal!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code